Interim bail for Haryana ex-cop accused of molestationJune 22nd, 2010 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 22 (IANS) The Punjab and Haryana High Court Tuesday granted interim bail to former inspector general of Haryana Police M.S. Ahlawat, who is accused of molesting a woman lawyer, saying he cannot be arrested till July 13.
Justice Alok Singh passed the order on Ahlawat’s plea seeking bail.
“There is no need for Ahlawat’s custodial interrogation. He is ready to cooperate with the police. There is no problem in submitting his voice and writing samples with the police,” Ahlawat’s lawyer Ajay Jain told the court.
Police have declared Ahlawat an absconder and issued a look-out notice for him after he went underground following a court in Haryana’s Yamunanagar town June 16 rejecting his bail plea.
He was booked June 8 for molesting a woman lawyer in May 2002.
The Haryana Police also constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the molestation case against Ahlawat, eight years after Harvinder Kaur, a resident of Yamunanagar, first made her complaint. The SIT is yet to submit its report.
Harvinder Kaur alleged that she was sexually harassed by Ahlawat in 2002. He was then superintendent of police of Yamunanagar district.
She said Ahlawat tried to harass her when she had gone to meet him in connection with one of her court cases in May 2002.
The lawyer alleged that the police officer insisted she come to his residence and sought sexual favours from her. In protest, she also sat outside the office of the state police chief and demanded strict action against the officer.
An inquiry was conducted by a senior official of the Haryana Police but he recommended another departmental inquiry against Ahlawat.
In a similar incident of molestation involving a Haryana policeman, former director general of police S.P.S. Rathore was convicted of molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra in 1990. Ruchika committed suicide three years later
Rathore was awarded 18 months rigorous imprisonment and is currently lodged in Chandigarh’s Burail Jail.
- Haryana ex-cop gets shield against arrest till July 13 (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Haryana ex-top cop's anticipatory bail plea rejected - Jun 16, 2010
- Haryana ex-top cop goes underground - Jun 17, 2010
- Haryana ex-top cop seeks bail in molestation case - Jun 10, 2010
- Police clueless about Haryana ex-top cop's whereabouts - Jun 19, 2010
- Hearing on Haryana cop's anticipatory bail plea adjourned - Jun 14, 2010
- Another Haryana top cop charged with molestation - Jun 09, 2010
- Submit probe report in Rathore case, court tells CBI - Nov 17, 2010
- Haryana: Widow molestation case victim goes missing - Jun 11, 2010
- Rathore walks out of jail, smiling - Nov 12, 2010
- Apex court may take up Rathore's bail plea - Oct 27, 2010
- Complainant opposes Rathore's bail, seeks judicial probe - Nov 11, 2010
- Ruchika case: Apex court grants bail to Rathore (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Rathore's bail plea hearing deferred till Wednesday - Jun 01, 2010
- Hearing adjourned on Rathore plea till Friday - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: absconder, ajay jain, alok, bail plea, chandigarh, court cases, custodial interrogation, director general, harvinder kaur, haryana police, investigation team, molestation case, police chief, punjab and haryana high court, rathore, rigorous imprisonment, sexual favours, state police, strict action, woman lawyer