Inter Milan held to draw at SampdoriaAugust 31st, 2008 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
Milan, Aug 31 (DPA) Holders Inter Milan were held to a 1-1 draw against gritty hosts Sampdoria in their first Serie A football league match of the season.At the brimming Galileo Ferraris, Inter star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic seemed to be over his lingering knee troubles, and in the 33rd minute resumed his scoring habit he interrupted in last season’s closing game, when he scored a crucial brace.
The Swede displayed his incredible controlling skills Saturday when he finalised a one-two action with Brazilian Mancini and fired diagonally by the far post.
Sampdoria’s second-half equaliser brought the signature of Gennaro Delvecchio, a midfielder turned striker for lack of first-team strikers.
Sampdoria had several chances through their talented play maker Antonio Cassano, who fired high drives in the sixth and 25th minute, while midfielder Paolo Sammarco had his effort blocked by Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar.
The Genoa hosts produced good offensive schemes, mostly relying on feeds from Cassano, but glaringly lacked the grit to finalize due to absences of his strikers Claudio Bellucci and Emiliano Bonazzoli.
Sulley Muntari, Inter new arrival from Ghana, opened the second half with a drive saved by Antonio Mirante, who also blocked a Dejan Stankovic shot and on 57 minutes watched an Ibra volley fly high.
The hosts’ deserved equalizer on 68 minutes owed much to a precise cross from Swiss substitute Marco Padalino, who favoured the easy tap-in from Delvecchio after an imperfect clearance from Douglas Maicon.
Three minutes later, Cassano had a mouthwatering chance to reverse the score, but incredibly fumbled a long pass and failed to come face to face with Julio Cesar.
Further thrills for the Genoa fans came on 86 minutes from Angelo Palombo’s smashing free kick that Julio Cesar deflected with difficulty, while Chilean substitute Luis Jimenez threatened for Inter heading a cross from Ibra above the bar.
An earlier game between Udinese and guests Palermo saw the Udine hosts prevail 3-1 thanks to a brace from international Antonio Di Natale.
Two top-billing ties, Roma-Napoli and Fiorentina-Juventus, are set, respectively, for Sunday afternoon and evening.
- Late Inter strike denies Rubin San Siro win - Sep 21, 2012
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Only a draw for Inter Milan against Parma - Feb 11, 2010
- Euro 2012: Cassano 'fantastic' despite lack of fitness, says Italy coach - Jun 29, 2012
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Footballer Cassano expected to be traded to Milan - Dec 18, 2010
- Inter Milan drop to second after loss at Sampdoria - Sep 27, 2009
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- Injured Ibrahimovic ruled out of Barcelona clash - Sep 13, 2011
- Inter Milan beat Catania to retain Serie A lead - Oct 25, 2009
- Injury-plagued Roma hold Inter Milan to home draw - Nov 09, 2009
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Italian footballer accused of attacking TV crew - Dec 22, 2011
- Inter Milan move seven clear at top of Serie A - Nov 02, 2009
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012