Inter Milan hammer Roma to clinch Serie A leadOctober 20th, 2008 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Milan, Oct 20 (DPA) Title holders Inter Milan flexed their muscles to seize the lead in the Serie A as a brace from Zlatan Ibrahimovic triggered a 4-0 crushing of Roma.Inter closed the league’s seventh round late Sunday at the top with 16 points, two ahead of Udinese, Catania and Napoli, and three more than Lazio, AC Milan, Fiorentina and Atalanta.
Roma remained in trouble on seven points after their fourth defeat despite the return of captain Francesco Totti, and suffered in defence as they missed the suspended defenders Philippe Mexes and Christian Panucci.
The Rome crowd cheered Roma as they brought the first threat with a John Riise drive after five minutes, but were stunned a few seconds later as Ibrahimovic finished off a counter attack aiming a precise lob past Alexader Doni.
Brazil defender Douglas Maicon squandered an incredible close-range chance in the 14th minute as he added the final touch to another fast counter attack.
A drive from Roma international Daniele De Rossi flew wide before Doni saved a shot from Ricardo Quaresma in the 22nd minute. Roma came very close before the break as Mirko Vucinic failed to head home a sweet cross volleyed by Totti.
Roma’s expected pressing in the second half was thwarted after just two minutes as Simone Loria missed a clearance and set up Ibra to score his second goal with a deadly break into the area.
Two chances to pull one back went begging for Roma when Cicinho had a shot saved and failed to nod in the rebound, and Alberto Aquilani also saw Julio Cesar save his effort in the 51st minute.
The hosts, however, had to throw in the towel in the next five minutes, when smashing drives from Dejan Stankovic and Nigerian Victor Obinna sealed Inter’s win and set a 13-5 goal difference.
Maicon came close again nodding against the post on 72 minutes and his Brazilian compatriot Julio Cesar deflected a fierce free kick from Riise four minutes later.
“I’m just trying to score as always,” Ibrahimovic said. “It was a very important brace for me and for the team. We had room to play. Roma played well but we scored some great goals.”
- Eto'o scores brace in Inter Milan's rally against Roma - Aug 22, 2010
- Inter draw 0-0 with Roma in Italian Serie A - Sep 18, 2011
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Injury-plagued Roma hold Inter Milan to home draw - Nov 09, 2009
- Milan held at home by Roma - Mar 02, 2009
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Inter Milan lose to Bologna - Feb 18, 2012
- AC Milan maintain Serie A lead with win over Atalanta - Jan 09, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Roma struggle to keep narrow lead despite dismissal - Jan 10, 2010
- Inter Milan stretch lead in Italian Serie A - Feb 16, 2009
- Only a draw for Inter Milan against Parma - Feb 11, 2010
- Inter Milan move seven clear at top of Serie A - Nov 02, 2009
- Roma set eyes on cup final after victory over Udinese - Feb 05, 2010
- Juventus beat Atalanta to lead midway in Serie A - Jan 22, 2012