Intelligence coordination for northeast suggestedNovember 5th, 2008 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 5 (IANS) The police chiefs of the eight northeastern states have suggested setting up an intelligence coordination group for the region to counter terrorism and insurgency.Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta and the director generals of police (DGPs) of the eight states Wednesday held a meeting to review the security scenario in the northeast in the wake of the synchronized blasts in Assam Oct 30 that claimed 77 lives.
“There is a need for similar coordination mechanism across the states to take into account several issues which effect the states commonly. There is a free movement of groups across the state borders and international borders. Some groups have linkages with each other,” Gupta said after the meeting.
Gupta said: “Currently a specific strategy was followed for Assam, another for Manipur and Nagaland. Generically we have to do certain things commonly.”
The home secretary also said that vacancies in the state police in the northeastern states will also be filled up immediately.
“Vacancies in state police, which in some case goes up to 20 percent, will be filled up in a time-bound manner,” said Gupta.
- Nagaland government appeals for calling off blockade - Aug 21, 2012
- Northeast on high alert to foil terror attacks on Aug 15 - Aug 11, 2012
- Fear in Manipur after outsiders told to quite state - Sep 07, 2012
- Three northeastearn states soon to have high courts - May 12, 2012
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
- Manipur pushes back 60 suspected Bangladeshis - Sep 02, 2012
- 49 illegal immigrants arrested in Manipur - Aug 31, 2012
- Three northeast states could get own high courts soon - Nov 27, 2011
- Maoist movement growing in Assam: Gogoi - Apr 16, 2012
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
- India, Myanmar open up borders - Oct 24, 2011
- Manipur continues to crackdown on illegal immigrants - Aug 31, 2012
- Special anti-terror Act extended in Tripura - Sep 08, 2012
- India-Myanmar to jointly fight northeast rebels - Feb 28, 2010