Insurance firms asked to make strict rules for Blueline busesJuly 2nd, 2008 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) Taking note of the increasing number of fatal accidents involving Blueline buses, a city court Wednesday asked insurance companies to make strict rules for cases relating to them. Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) Judge Swarn Kanta also asked Blueline owners to verify the details of the drivers before employing them.
The court’s ruling came on a case of an accident in which Dinesh and Ramesh Ahuja were killed Dec 1 2006. They were going from Shalimar Bagh to Paharganj on their scooter and were killed by a speeding Blueline bus.
“The cases related to compensation of Blueline victims give me a sense of deep anguish and at this stage MACT courts are full of them,” said Kanta in her order.
“It’s a painful case where the young brothers lost their lives because of the greed of Blueline owners,” said Kanta.
The court asked National Insurance Company to pay a compensation of Rs.2.6 million to the wives of the two brothers.
The privately owned Blueline buses, considered the lifeline of the metropolis, have been dubbed “killer buses” after rash driving has caused hundreds of deaths on the capital’s roads.
- Rs.9 lakh relief for kin of woman killed in accident - May 31, 2011
- Selling your vehicle? Get transfer documents right or face trouble - May 20, 2011
- Court pulls up Delhi's Blueline bus owners - Jul 29, 2008
- Blueline buses get brief lease of life (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Blueline buses to breath their last in June 2012 (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Contracts signed for four more bus clusters in Delhi - Nov 01, 2010
- Police hunt for Blueline killer driver - May 09, 2011
- Insurance firms to pay for pillion riders too - Dec 13, 2009
- Blueline buses to be back on Delhi roads Monday - Oct 15, 2010
- Delhi to decide on return of Blueline buses after Oct 25 - Oct 18, 2010
- Court ruling on Blueline buses Thursday - Mar 02, 2011
- Police to be trained to deal with accident cases - Jan 15, 2010
- Blueline buses with permits continue to ply on Delhi roads - Feb 01, 2011
- Corporate bigwigs to make inroads into Delhi bus services - Nov 01, 2010
- Blueline buses get fresh lease of life (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011