Inside Jammu jail, comes up music bandFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 23 (IANS) From a prison known for housing hardcore militants came sounds of music and drums. For, the inmates of Kot Bhalwal jail on this city’s outskirts have set up their own band.It has been aptly named the Inmates Pipe Band and was inaugurated by B.R. Sharma, principal secretary of the home ministry, Tuesday. Part of a reform initiative, it is the first-ever band created in any prison in Jammu and Kashmir.
The band members will be allowed to go out of the prison confines to perform, officials said.
The band has been formed by the prisons department as part of one its initiatives to reform prisoners and create opportunities for them for a fruitful vocation once they are out of jail. The band is also one of the very few “inmate bands” in the country.
“The basic idea behind the creation of this band was to train inmates in a vocation as a rehabilitation measure and to create an atmosphere of inmate-civil society interaction by sending this band to civil functions outside the prison walls in future,” Rajni Shegal, jail superintendent, said at the inaugural function.
The jail once housed Masood Azhar, the founder of Jaish-e-Mohammad, one among the three terrorists exchanged for passengers in the IC-814 hijacking case of December 1999.
- Masood Azhar back in business, says Pakistani paper - Sep 07, 2011
- Pipes 'n drums: Jammu jailbirds play a new tune - Mar 28, 2011
- Jammu prisoners participate in kite flying festival - Aug 10, 2012
- India hands over 28 Pakistani prisoners - Aug 18, 2010
- Five JeM militants held in Bangladesh - Feb 28, 2010
- Bangladeshi prisoners embroider a new life in Jammu jail (Feature) - May 10, 2012
- Militant involved in Kandahar hijacking arrested in J&K; (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Conspirator of Kandahar hijacking may have been arrested - Apr 11, 2011
- Pak national nabbed in Chile not IC-814 hijacking accused: Pakistan - Apr 14, 2011
- China cites technical hitches for not supporting ban on Jaish. - Aug 13, 2009
- NIA to quiz jailed Hizbul linkman in Delhi blast - Sep 28, 2011
- Trying to verify identity of Pakistani held in Chile: Krishna - Apr 13, 2011
- India toughens anti-hijack policy, but remains vulnerable (12 years after IC-814 hijack) - Dec 23, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir to get more prisons - Nov 26, 2009
- Tihar Idol, a talent hunt in jail premises for inmates - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,