INS Viraat team wins Western Fleet Regatta (With Images)January 22nd, 2012 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 22 (IANS) Twelve teams representing Indian naval ships Sunday fought it out at for the top spot at the Western Fleet Pulling Regatta (WEFREG) with the team representing the Indian Navy’s sole aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, emerging triumphant.
“WEFREG, the most significant event in the Fleet Sports Calendar, saw a participation from 12 teams representing INS Viraat, Delhi, Mysore, Mumbai, Godavari, Ganga, Gomati, Brahmaputra, Beas, Betwa, Talwar and Tabar,” a naval official said.
“Five races were conducted, with the fifth race being for the ‘Best Whaler’, comprising the best boat pullers from each team,” he added.
According to the official, historically, pulling a bank of oars represents the earliest from of propulsion.
The pulling regatta is a sailor’s way of re-emphasizing the importance and the virtues of pulling together in harmony. “For the modern seagoing fraternity, it signifies team work, enthusiasm, camaraderie and ‘josh’,” the official said.
The regatta saw a spirited performance by all the participants, while families of naval personnel and invitees for the event witnessed the races from INS Viraat and INS Deepak.
Vice Admiral D.K. Joshi, the flag officer commanding-in-chief, Western Naval Command was the chief guest and gave away the prizes on the occasion.
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Vice Admiral Joshi to head navy's sword arm - Apr 16, 2011
- President to review Indian Navy fleet next month - Nov 22, 2011
- D.K. Joshi is new navy chief - Jun 05, 2012
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- Vice Admiral Sinha takes over as IDS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel head - Jul 29, 2011
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Western Naval Command's base depot commissioned - Jul 10, 2012
- Indian Navy to majorly increase combat capabilities - Dec 01, 2010
- President to review Indian Navy fleet December 20 - Jun 07, 2011
- Ahead of naval war game, Antony reviews national security - Feb 06, 2012
- Indian Navy wins international sailing regatta - Dec 13, 2010
- Indo-French naval exercise to help anti-piracy operations - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: beas, best boat, brahmaputra, chief guest, flag officer, ganga, godavari, indian navy, ins viraat, invitees, joshi, naval command, naval personnel, naval ships, oars, spirited performance, sports calendar, tabar, talwar, vice admiral