Inquiry into teenager’s death in police custodyJune 8th, 2008 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 8 (IANS) Following protests by the residents of Jammu and Kashmir’s Doda district, a magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the death of a teenager in police custody. Latif Ahmad allegedly died in police custody in Doda district Saturday, sparking off protests which prompted the government to order a magisterial inquiry into his death.
Deputy Commissioner Doda Khurshid Ahmad Bhat has ordered a probe, official sources said.
According to media reports, Ahmad, 17, was picked up from his house in Dehroti village in Doda district, about 200 km north-east of Jammu, Saturday by the special operation group of the state police for questioning.
But after a few hours, his body was handed over to the family. No explanations were offered for the death of the boy, whose body allegedly bore torture marks.
“It was a clear case of custodial killing,” Naseer Ahmad, a resident of Dehroti village, told reporters during the protests at district headquarters.
The protestors were led by former home minister and National Conference leader Khalid Najib Suharwardy.
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- National Conference worker died of heart failure: Forensic report (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Exhume unmarked grave in Kashmir: Rights panel - Jul 05, 2012
- Separatist shutdown hits life across Kashmir - Aug 03, 2011
- Omar speaks to Khurshid over custodial death - Oct 09, 2011
- One killed in CISF firing, five troopers arrested (Third Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Kashmir civilian killed, murder case against army men (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Ex-J&K; IGP denies filing CCTV footage in NC worker's death - Jun 21, 2012
- Panel allows dead man's kin to visit Omar's house - Mar 12, 2012
- Curfew in Kashmir village after clashes - Aug 07, 2012
- AFSPA removal issue being pursued, says Omar - Jan 05, 2012
- Slain Kashmir youth was militant, reiterates army - Jul 26, 2012