Inmates set fire to Orissa jail, three hurtMay 30th, 2008 - 7:16 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, May 30 (IANS) Three people, including a jail official, sustained severe burn injuries Friday after inmates set fire to parts of a prison in Orissa, protesting a search conducted by prison officials, an official said. The prison officials had conducted the search Thursday night in the jail at Puri, 56 km from here. Few mobile hand sets, blades and some objectionable material were recovered, state inspector general-prison V. Thiagarajan told IANS.
Angry over the search, some prisoners Friday collected their blankets near the inner gate of the jail and set them on fire, he said.
A jail official and two prisoners suffered 20 to 30 percent burn injuries after they tried to put out the fire. They have been taken to a nearby hospital, Thiagarajan said.
Fire fighters have rushed to the prison and brought the fire under control. Officials have gone to the spot for further investigation.
- Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injured - Mar 11, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Tihar warms up to its inmates - Dec 24, 2011
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash - Apr 18, 2012
- Orissa orders removal of illegal structures in jails - Dec 09, 2009
- Six prisoners injured in fire - Nov 11, 2011
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- 350 dead in Honduras prison fire (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Jail house rock lands jailor in soup! - Feb 09, 2010
- 43 hurt in uprising at Chile prison - Dec 23, 2010
- Six prisoners attempt suicide in Bihar jail - May 14, 2012
- Steel plant official injured after workers torch vehicle - Mar 03, 2011
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012