Injury-hit Mumbai Indians allowed five foreign playersSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 22 (IANS) With as many as eight players, including Sachin Tendulkar, sidelined owing to injuries or otherwise not available, Mumbai Indians Thursday were permitted to field five foreigners instead of four in the playing eleven in the Nokia Champions League Twenty20 tournament commencing Friday.
Those on the injury list are Tendulkar, Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, Ali Murtaza, Munaf Patel and Dhawal Kulkarni. Aditya Tare and Pawan Suyal, the other two among the 23 contracted players, are also not available for the tournament.
Their replacements are: Andrew Symonds, Dilhara Fernando, Rajagopal Sathish, Sarul Kanwar and Abu Nechim Ahmed.
The Mumbai Indians are to take on defending champions Chennai Super Kings in their opening Group A match here Saturday.
The prospect of facing a full-strength Super Kings with a team that is weighed down by injuries, however, does not faze Lasith Malinga who will have so much more pressure to deliver early breakthroughs.
“We always try to perform to our strength during a match and the result comes at the end of the day. All the players in Mumabi Indians team will be performing to their strength and that is it,” said Malinga at a media interaction session here Thursday.
“We do not have any pressure. I think we know our abilities and trust our abilities. We have lot of young players but some have not played much of T-20 matches. But we have good senior players in our team,” said Malinga.
- Mumbai Indians sign 11 uncapped players - Jan 18, 2011
- Mumbai Indians to bat against Somerset - Oct 08, 2011
- Dhoni takes the blame for defeat - Sep 25, 2011
- Mumbai Indians spin dream win in CLT20 final - Oct 10, 2011
- Mumbai Indians' character will be tested against Super Kings - Sep 23, 2011
- Mumbai Indians to field against Super Kings - May 23, 2012
- IPL Scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Apr 23, 2011
- Pollard seeks to make amends - Sep 21, 2011
- CLT20 scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs New South Blues - Oct 02, 2011
- Depleted Mumbai need to raise bar against Somerset - Oct 07, 2011
- Bhajji unfazed by captaincy - Sep 23, 2011
- Mumbai elect to field against CSK in IPL opener - Apr 04, 2012
- IPL is changing the face of world cricket: Pollock - May 07, 2012
- CLT20 scoreboard: Mumabi Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - Oct 10, 2011
- Tendulkar doubtful for Champions League T20 - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: aditya, ahmed, Andrew Symonds, champions league, contracted players, dilhara fernando, foreigners, full strength, kanwar, malinga, media interaction, munaf patel, murtaza, pawan, rajagopal, replacements, sarul, sathish, tare, twenty20