Injured Siddle and Pattinson out for remainder of tourApril 20th, 2012 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain (Trinidad), April 20 (IANS/CMC) Australian fast bowlers Peter Siddle and James Pattinson have been ruled out of the remainder of the West Indies tour and will return home this week.
Siddle played in the opening Test in Barbados, but missed the second Test with a sore back while Pattinson suffered back pain while fielding Tuesday, after being picked for his first match of the three-Test series.
Cricket Australia said neither bowler would be fit in time for the final Test in Dominica, starting Monday.
“Peter Siddle developed some back soreness in the Barbados Test and scans revealed early signs of a low back bone stress injury,” said Australian team physiotherapist Kevin Sims.
“He was subsequently ruled out of the second Test and after further consultation we feel that to prevent this injury developing any further, it is in Peter’s best interest for him to return to Australia to rest and for appropriate physiotherapy to ensure he is fully fit when next selected for Australian duties.
“James Pattinson had an episode of acute low back pain after fielding and throwing awkwardly late on day three of the second Test.
“We have since monitored his condition over the last couple of days and the initial investigations suggest that while the injury is not serious there is insufficient time for him to recover to play in the third Test match.”
Siddle left Thursday morning while Pattinson will fly out Friday.
- Back injury may force Pattinson to miss remainder of series - Apr 19, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Rampaul in line for first outing of series - Apr 22, 2012
- Sammy's half-century in vain as Aussies wrap up series - Apr 28, 2012
- Australia may fall back on quicks thrashed in last Ashes - Apr 21, 2012
- Gibson says Roach loss a huge blow but looks to Best, Edwards - May 31, 2012
- Pattinson, Siddle nursing niggles, but sure to play Test - Dec 16, 2011
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- West Indies fightback of no avail as Australia win first Test - Apr 12, 2012
- Sammy clear about bowling role in West Indies side - Apr 10, 2012
- Windies top order exposed as Australia take charge - Apr 17, 2012
- IPL star Narine to replace Roach in West Indies squad - May 31, 2012
- Rain plays spoilsport in Port of Spain Test - Apr 20, 2012
- Younus Khan moves up on rankings ladder - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: back bone, bone stress, cricket australia, final test, initial investigations, insufficient time, james pattinson, kevin sims, low back pain, physiotherapy, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, second test, siddle, stress injury, team physiotherapist, test match, test series, third test, thursday morning