Infrastructure holds key to overall growth: expertsNovember 22nd, 2008 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 22 (IANS) Infrastructure development is an essential pre-requisite for the overall development of the country, and the government should encourage the public-private partnership (PPP) model to meet the challenges in this sector, experts said Saturday. Various industry experts gathered here to participate in a convention on “Creating World Class Infrastructure - Policy Imperatives”, organised by the the Lucknow Management Association (LMA).
“The growth in agriculture as well as the (Uttar Pradesh) state GDP is positively and significantly influenced by infrastructure,” Gyanendra Mani, a expert at the Lucknow-based Bankers Institute of Rural Development, said.
“It would be wise for the state government to intervene in the form of a joint effort with the private sector,” he added.
However, they expressed concern over the lack of a clear policy framework for private sector participation.
“This has hampered the badly-needed infrastructure development, particularly in telecommunication, power, roads and ports. The public sector, which led the investment in the infrastructure sector until recently, has also reduced its investment considerably due to its poor fiscal position,” LMA president Jayant Krishna said.
He added that India could certainly benefit from the PPP model.
Experts from the telecom, power, transport, agriculture and other fields were also present at the convention.
- Northeast needs more government initiatives: Tripura chief minister - Sep 24, 2011
- Increasing farm productivity key to food security: Thomas - Sep 15, 2011
- Prime Minister pushes for infrastructure-led growth - Jun 06, 2012
- Karnataka mulls bullet trains for high-speed connectivity - Jun 04, 2012
- UP prepares to finalize new industrial policy - Jun 08, 2012
- Overcome hurdles to up investment in infrastructure: FICCI - Sep 11, 2011
- Government seeks private funding for infrastructure development in 12th Plan - Feb 21, 2011
- UP invites investment for Lucknow IT park - Jun 14, 2012
- Involve people in public-private-partnership model: Selja - Sep 13, 2012
- Kerala expecting huge overseas investment: Chandy - Apr 20, 2012
- Haryana vows to improve facilities in cities - Sep 13, 2012
- 'Rs.7,000-crore investment proposals in Million Farmers initiative' - Mar 08, 2012
- G20 should focus on food security, infrastructure: Business leaders - Nov 02, 2011
- A joint venture to train over two million in diverse skills - Dec 21, 2010
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012