Infosys freezes recruitment, mulls pay cutsFebruary 5th, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 5 (IANS) Employees of Infosys Technologies may have to live with a salary cut and without any significant increment, even as the IT bellwether has virtually frozen fresh recruitments on account of the global meltdown, a top company official has said.”A part of our salary is determined by variable sales component, which is the percentage of the company’s revenue,” said Infosys’ director for human resources T.V. Mohandas Pai.
“Since the revenues are down, the salaries will naturally be trimmed.”
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a press conference here, Pai said the leading software exporter and business process outsourcing firm may also opt out of salary hikes because of the slowdown.
“The increments may not happen this year. But, if they do, they will be subdued.”
Pai also maintained that the company will honour the 20,000 campus offers made last year, but added that fresh hiring has been frozen.
Infosys, India’s second largest IT firm, had reported a net profit of Rs.16.41 billion ($335.5 million) for the third quarter of this fiscal, to log a 33 percent year growth. The jump was above expectations but below what it had logged in the past decade.
Speaking about the fallout of the $1.43-billion Satyam Computer Services scam, Pai said Infosys had, indeed, received offers from some customers of the rival group, which were being analysed.
“Our chief executive officer (K. Gopalakrishnan) had earlier made an announcement that we have received offers from Satyam customers,” he said, adding: “But we do not go and poach on customers.”
Gopalakrishnan had also said last month that there was no pro-active move on the part of his company to approach Satyam customers. “But if they come on their own, we will look into their proposals case-by-case.”
- Infosys bets on double-digit growth again; beats guidance (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- Co-founder Narayana Murthy bids adieu to Infosys - Aug 19, 2011
- 'Infosys not to approach Satyam clients on its own' - Jan 14, 2009
- Infosys to hire 30,000 techies in next 12 months - Apr 13, 2010
- Infosys braces to counter visa fraud charge in US - May 25, 2011
- Double-digit growth turning point for IT industry: Infosys - Oct 15, 2010
- Bill Gates wishes Murthy as he retires from Infosys - Aug 20, 2011
- IT industry backs Murthy, Premji on policy paralysis - Jun 14, 2012
- Buoyant Indian IT industry rebounds but remains cautious (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 30, 2010
- Infosys co-founder, board director resign - Apr 15, 2011
- Wipro upbeat despite flat IT growth - Oct 31, 2011
- India's tech industry relieved as 'Year of Satyam' blows over (Flashback 2009) - Dec 27, 2009
- Infosys returns to double-digit growth, ups guidance again (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Mohandas Pai quits Infosys Board - Apr 15, 2011
- Mahindra Satyam's net profit up by six percent - Nov 10, 2011