‘Information on ATM operation not to be revealed’February 17th, 2008 - 6:15 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) Commercial banks cannot be compelled under the Right to Information (RTI) Act to divulge the operational details of their ATMs installed across cities, the Central Information Commission (CIC) has ruled. “Information pertaining to operation of ATMs is really a matter of commercial confidence. As a matter of fact, a lot of security is involved in such a procedure and such information cannot be given to any outsider,” CIC’s Information Commissioner Padma Balasubramanian held in a ruling on Jan 29.
The CIC ruling came on an application under the RTI Act, seeking certain information about the operation of the ATMs of State Bank of India.
The applicant, G. Ramachandra Rao, a resident of Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh, had approached the SBI with eight queries ranging from defective disbursement of cash by the bank’s ATMs to the guidelines of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) on maintenance of ATMs.
Turning down Rao’s request for the guidelines, General Manager of SBI’s Kurnool branch said that there were no specific guidelines of RBI or IBA on maintenance of ATMs or withdrawing excess cash from them.
On the question of defective disbursement by ATMs, the bank said that such details were specific to its customers and would fall under the category of “third-party information”, which was categorically exempted from disclosure under the RTI Act, 2005.
“I agree with the stand taken by the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO) of SBI,” Balasubramanian said while disposing of the applicant’s plea.
- Court stays information panel's order to RBI on RTI plea - Dec 09, 2011
- Petition inquiring Sonia Gandhi's religion dismissed - Nov 29, 2010
- Keep central record of ministers' air travel: CIC - Apr 01, 2011
- Strike doesn't affect life in Tamil Nadu - Feb 28, 2012
- Court stays order to make president's donations public - Jul 13, 2012
- No need to make emergency documents public: Court - Jul 12, 2011
- Computerise all offices, CIC advises RBI - Apr 19, 2010
- Staff strike hits banks operations in Karnataka - Aug 05, 2011
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- President comes under RTI, make donations public: Court (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- RBI to act against banks not beefing up cyber security - Jan 27, 2012
- Apex court restores powers of transparency panel chief - Oct 18, 2010
- Reveal perks of NACIL top brass: CIC - Feb 18, 2010
- Seven complaints from RTI users, says government - Aug 11, 2010
- Transparency panel's order on Supreme Court cases stayed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011