Information kiosks for disabled set up in Delhi hospitalsJune 29th, 2008 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) Kiosks providing information on various disabilities such as cerebral palsy and autism to differently-abled people and their families have been set up in six hospitals in the national capital. The pilot project is an initiative of an NGO, Media Lab Asia, with the central government’s Department of Information Technology and the National Trust, a statutory body under the ministry of social justice and empowerment.
Shankarnath Goswami, the managing director of Media Lab Asia, said these kiosks are meant to provide benefits to those who deserve these the most.
“Information holds the key to knowledge, and this initiative of Media Lab Asia aims to enable and empower persons with disabilities to manage their disabilities better,” Goswami said.
The kiosks provides pamphlets giving information on various disabilities, schemes for persons with such disabilities, contact numbers and addresses of associations run by parents for persons with disabilities, help-lines and NGOs working on these issue.
They also give information on user friendly speech-based interactive system, numerical key-based simple and easy customized operation and audio-based help.
The kiosks have been set up in the psychiatry department of Ram Manohar Lohia and Safdarjung hospitals, in Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (Irwin) Hospital, Institute of Human Behaviour and Applied Sciences (IHBAS) and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
Depending on their popularity, these kiosks may be set up in other hospitals as well, officials said.
- Deboarding incident a rights violation: Government - Feb 22, 2012
- Psychologists to counsel Delhi building collapse victims - Nov 24, 2010
- New law to bring dignity to disabled: PM - Jun 17, 2011
- 18 affordable health kiosks set up in Bangalore - Aug 05, 2012
- Workshop to motivate disabled kids, parents - Aug 12, 2012
- High drop-out rate hits Delhi's tobacco cessation centres - Jun 04, 2012
- Chennai innovator gives voice to the voiceless - Aug 26, 2011
- Final draft of new disability law submitted - Jul 01, 2011
- Court orders better facilities for mentally ill prisoners - Mar 09, 2011
- IGNOU centres to be more disabled-friendly - Feb 22, 2012
- Ex-RAW official, who disrobed in court, suffering from paranoia - Feb 28, 2011
- Lucknow varsity to offer facilities for differently-abled - Jul 20, 2011
- Delhi University dons a disabled-friendly avatar - Jul 10, 2011
- Bhopal Shatabdi trains carry social messages (With Images) - Jun 30, 2011
- Bhopal Shatabdi train to carry social messages (Lead, With Images) - Jun 30, 2011