Infant killed in incubator fire in AhmedabadMarch 13th, 2008 - 12:06 am ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, March 12 (IANS) A three-day-old baby was killed when an incubator at a state-run hospital caught fire in Ahmedabad Wednesday. The incubator caught fire due to an electric short-circuit at 5.30 a.m., sources at the Shardaben Hospital said.
The newborn died instantly while two others, including a female child, were saved though their condition was described as serious. They were shifted to the LG Hospital.
The burnt incubator was sent to the forensic science laboratory for investigation. Ahmedabad Municipal Commissioner I.P. Gautam called for a detailed inquiry.
The state government announced Rs.50,000 as compensation to the mother of the infant who died in the incubator fire. The identity of the mother, who is from Delhi, was not revealed.
Talking to IANS, Gujarat Health and Family Welfare Minister Jaynarayan Vyas described the accident as tragic.
Vyas said the woman had come to Ahmedabad on some urgent work and had to be admitted to the hospital for delivery.
The minister said he had instructed the health commissioner for a top-level inquiry.
- Action against Punjab health officials for infant's death - Aug 17, 2012
- Infant dies after removal from Punjab hospital incubator, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- 'Hospital staff not to blame for incubator fire death' - Mar 14, 2008
- After infant's death over Rs 200, Punjab makes neo-natal services free - Jul 27, 2012
- Rs.300 crore cancer hospital to open in Ahmedabad - Nov 02, 2010
- 19 infants die in two Bengal hospitals - Feb 03, 2012
- 4 Gujarat children die after being given measles drops - Mar 16, 2011
- Infant stolen from government hospital in Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2010
- Lethal virus not spreading in Gujarat, says minister - Jan 20, 2011
- Four dead, 100 fall sick to contaminated water - Jul 18, 2010
- 3 arrested for Punjab hospital fire tragedy - Feb 21, 2011
- Gujarat setting high medical tourism targets: Vyas - Dec 14, 2010
- 'Death of babies in Pakistan hospital fire shocking' - Jun 09, 2012
- Two women held for stealing baby - Dec 30, 2011
- 'Centre using CBI to harass Gujarat government' - Jul 26, 2011