Infant killed in incubator fire in Ahmedabad

March 13th, 2008 - 12:06 am ICT by admin  

Ahmedabad, March 12 (IANS) A three-day-old baby was killed when an incubator at a state-run hospital caught fire in Ahmedabad Wednesday. The incubator caught fire due to an electric short-circuit at 5.30 a.m., sources at the Shardaben Hospital said.

The newborn died instantly while two others, including a female child, were saved though their condition was described as serious. They were shifted to the LG Hospital.

The burnt incubator was sent to the forensic science laboratory for investigation. Ahmedabad Municipal Commissioner I.P. Gautam called for a detailed inquiry.

The state government announced Rs.50,000 as compensation to the mother of the infant who died in the incubator fire. The identity of the mother, who is from Delhi, was not revealed.

Talking to IANS, Gujarat Health and Family Welfare Minister Jaynarayan Vyas described the accident as tragic.

Vyas said the woman had come to Ahmedabad on some urgent work and had to be admitted to the hospital for delivery.

The minister said he had instructed the health commissioner for a top-level inquiry.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |