Industry asks for fiscal package to boost growthDecember 17th, 2008 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 17 (IANS) A leading industry lobby Wednesday asked the government for a bigger fiscal package to revive various sectors of the economy.”We have urged the government to create a growth package for various sectors that have been affected due to the slowdown,” Harsh Pati Singhania, senior vice-president of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Ficci) told reporters after a meeting with senior government officials.
“We need big investment push and we have suggested this to the government,” Singhania, who is also the managing director of JK Papers, added.
A nine-member Ficci delegation made the suggestion during a meeting with top bureaucrats who included Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrashekhar, Finance Secretary Arun Ramanathan, Commerce Secretary G.K. Pillai, and Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) secretary Ajay Shankar.
Besides Singhania, the Ficci delegation included DLF Group chairman K.P. Singh, Steel Authority of India chairman S.K. Roongta, and Confederation of Indian Textiles Industry deputy chairman Shishir Jaipuria.
Among the suggestions that it made, Ficci asked for providing adequate credit to prop up the housing and auto sectors, apart from special package for labour-intensive sectors like textiles, leather, footwear, handicrafts and gems and jewellery.
- Singhania, Mittal take over top posts in ICC India - Mar 25, 2012
- Anand Sharma heads for Pakistan with 150-strong business team - Feb 12, 2012
- More stimulus for export sector on cards: Anand Sharma (Lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- India to have national intellectual property rights strategy - Apr 26, 2012
- Government measures will help boost exports: Industry - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian business delegation to visit Ghana next week - Jul 05, 2012
- Incentives to exporters before Diwali: Anand Sharma - Sep 29, 2011
- Commerce ministry offers Rs.450-500 cr to boost exports (Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- Environment good for boosting India-Pakistan trade: Gilani - Feb 16, 2012
- Myanmarese delegation interested in trade with Bengal - Dec 06, 2011
- Rajan Bharti Mittal takes over as new FICCI chief - Mar 02, 2010
- Anand Sharma to lead business team to Germany - Oct 03, 2010
- India agrees to duty-free Pakistani exports to EU: Report - Sep 10, 2011
- Some positives in budget, says India Inc; displeased with taxes - Mar 16, 2012
- Environment ministry, industry forum to advice firms on green laws - Jan 24, 2011