Industrialists should not praise Modi: CongressJanuary 14th, 2009 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) Terming “Vibrant Gujarat” a “myth”, the Congress party Wednesday asked captains of industry to desist from praising Chief Minister Narendra Modi.“Vibrant Gujarat is a myth, it is a creation of Modi and the (ruling) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Reality is that Gujarat is one of the most indebted states of India,” Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari told reporters here.
His comments came after the two-day annual Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit in Ahemdabad that saw a total of 8,500 memoranda of understanding (MoUs) being signed, promising an investment worth a whopping Rs.12 trillion (Rs.120,000 crore) in the state.
At the event, several industrialists including Anil Ambani praised Modi’s leadership.
“In 2007, the indebtedness of Gujarat stood at Rs.94,000 crore (Rs.940 billion) which makes it one of the most indebted states in India. In the last 11 months, 62,000 small and medium industries have shut down in the state,” Tewari said.
He also pointed out “lots of discrepancies” in the agreements signed at the meet.
Referring to the praise for Modi, Tewari said: “I would like to tell the captains of industry that before handing over a character certificate, please understand the reality of Gujarat and be careful in showering praises on someone whose edifice stands on the lives of thousands of innocent people.”
He said industrialists’ praise for Modi reminded him of German industrialists supporting Adolf Hitler in the early 1930s.
- 'Vibrant Gujarat' an inspiration, development role mode: Gadkari - Jan 14, 2011
- Modi's global investor summit promises Gujarat $333 bn (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2011
- Maharashtra can learn lessons from Narendra Modi: Shiv Sena - Jan 14, 2011
- Vibrant Gujarat 2011 aims to provide investment to every state: Modi - Nov 17, 2010
- Vibrant Gujarat: $5 bn committed in pharma sector - Jan 13, 2011
- Congress flays praise of Gujarat CMs leadership by industry captains - Jan 14, 2009
- Almost 8,000 MoUs worth $462 bn signed in Vibrant Gujarat: Modi - Jan 13, 2011
- Vibrant Gujarat now international platform for investments: Modi - Jan 10, 2011
- Anil Ambani commits $11 bn investment in Gujarat - Jan 12, 2011
- I-T notice reflects federal injustice: Gujarat minister - Mar 16, 2011
- Plea for Modi's deposition to Gujarat riot panel rejected (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Congress demands assembly probe in Vibrant Gujarat irregularities - Jan 04, 2011
- Congress responsible for Gujarat Govt. IT inquiry: Minister - Mar 15, 2011
- Energy sector deals worth Rs.7.38 lakh crore at Gujarat summit - Jan 13, 2011
- Vibrant Gujarat: $56.43 bn fund for urban development - Jan 13, 2011