Industrialist K.K. Birla passes away (Lead)August 30th, 2008 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 30 (IANS) Eminent industrialist and former Rajya Sabha member Krishna Kumar Birla died at his Birla Park residence here Saturday after a brief illness. He was 90.Birla is survived by three daughters - Nandini Nopany, Saroj Poddar and vice chairperson and editorial adviser of Hindustan Times Shobhana Bhartia.
His wife Manorama Devi Birla had died about a month ago.
A spokesman said that Birla, “the chairman of the Hindustan Times, and the Rs.10,000 crore Zuari-Chambal Group passed away at about 7.30 a.m”.
Widely known by his acronym, KK, Birla was ailing for the past fortnight and his condition deteriorated Saturday morning.
Born in 1918, KK was the son of the country’s industrial doyen Ghanshyam Das Birla. His group of companies included Chambal Fertilisers and Chemicals Ltd, Paradeep Phosphates Ltd, Chambal Food Processing Unit Ltd, Sutlej Industries Ltd, Birla Textile Mills, Texmaco and Oudh Sugar.
A patron of learning, Birla established the Birla Foundation in 1991 to promote Hindi literature.
KK was also the chancellor of the Birla Institute of Technology and Science at Pilani, Rajasthan, the old hometown of the family.
His last rites will be performed at 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Business doyen K K Birla dead - Aug 30, 2008
- PM condoles passing away of K K Birla - Aug 31, 2008
- K.K. Birla: a titan of Indian industry (Obituary) - Aug 30, 2008
- Industrialist K.K. Birla dead - Aug 30, 2008
- Saroj Poddar unifies companies, mulls $2 bn investment - Mar 23, 2011
- Industry chambers mourn death of K.K. Birla - Aug 30, 2008
- Industrialist G.P. Birla dead - Mar 06, 2010
- Texmaco for logistic park in West Bengal - Aug 30, 2012
- Texmaco to make Metro coaches with Japanese firms - Jul 23, 2009
- Texmaco demerges heavy engineering and steel foundry business - Feb 23, 2010
- Texmaco against too many wagon-making units - Aug 12, 2010
- Oudh Sugar posts Rs.8.67 crore net profit - Jan 27, 2010
- Oudh Sugar posts Rs.8.67 crore loss (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jan 27, 2010
- Texmaco posts Rs.22.36 crore net profit - Oct 26, 2009
- K.K. Birla group company temporarily closed - Aug 31, 2011