Indonesian businessman charged in deadly stampedeSeptember 16th, 2008 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Sep 16 (DPA) Indonesian police Tuesday charged a businessman with negligence after his free cash handouts caused a stampede that left at least 21 people dead and dozens injured.National police spokesman Abubakar Nataprawira said that Haji Farouk will be charged with negligence resulting in death, an offence punishable with up to five years in jail.
Farouk, a member of a well-to-do Indonesian Muslim family, was involved in distributing cash handouts in the East Java district of Pasuruan, about 800 km east of Jakarta Monday.
Cash handouts to the poor are common in the world’s largest Muslim country during the fasting month of Ramadan.
Thousands of people - mostly women, children and the elderly - were lined up at the family residence to receive an equivalent of $3.7 each from the wealthy family’s patriarch, Haji Syaichon, Farouk’s father.
At first the distribution went smoothly and everyone received their allotment, witnesses said.
But a stampede ensued as the crowd rushed forward through a narrow alley to get their money, causing many to be trampled. Screaming women suffocated as they were pinned against the fence in the clamour.
Officials said the local government had received no prior information of the handout, therefore security personnel was not in place.
In addition to 21 fatalities, dozens of other women fainted or were injured in the incident, and at least 13 remained hospitalized until Tuesday, Nataprawira said.
Indonesian Muslim leaders have called on alms givers to donate to alms-collecting bodies who would then distribute their funds to avoid similar incidents.
- Tornado hits Indonesia - Jan 26, 2012
- 21 killed in Indonesia stampede - Sep 15, 2008
- Stampede in Pakistan kills 18 women, injures nine - Sep 14, 2009
- Russian plane goes missing in Indonesia - May 09, 2012
- US, Oz missions get bomb threats over Bali executions - Nov 04, 2008
- Indonesian bus drivers face drug tests for Eid - Aug 14, 2012
- 88 bodies retrieved after Indonesia boat disaster - Dec 22, 2011
- Dozens of punk rockers held in Indonesia - Dec 15, 2011
- 50 hurt in Pakistan stampede - Sep 29, 2010
- Bride discovers groom is a woman - Aug 02, 2011
- Indonesian women caned in public for selling food during Ramadan under sharia law - Oct 02, 2010
- Russian plane with 44 missing in Indonesia (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Obama's pitch for moderate form of Islam comes unstuck in Indonesia - Nov 14, 2010
- Two Indonesians die in stampede at SE Asian Games soccer - Nov 22, 2011
- Missing aircraft found in Indonesia - May 10, 2012