Indo-French naval exercise to help anti-piracy operationsJanuary 8th, 2011 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Vasco (Goa), Jan 8 (IANS) Indo-French naval exercise ‘Varuna’ entered its second day Saturday, even as both Indian and French navies said the joint exercise could help combat global anti-piracy effectively. “The exercises include the entire gamut of maritime operations ranging from aircraft carrier operations, anti-submarine warfare exercises and maritime interdiction operations exercises,” Rear Admiral Jean Louis Kerignard, commander of French Maritime Force, told reporters at a press conference on board India’s only aircraft carrier, the INS Viraat.
“Such exercises really help during joint anti-piracy operations or humanitarian missions,” he added.
The naval exercises which commenced Friday and will last till Jan 14, are being conducted off the coast of Goa, with aircraft carriers, destroyers, frigates, submarines and tankers from both the navies participating. A total of 300 officers and nearly 1,500 sailors are engaged in the exercise.
The French navy’s aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle is also participating in the exercise, along with the newly-inducted destroyer FNS Forbin.
“This is FNS Forbin’s first deployment. It has just been inducted,” Kerignard said.
He further said that the French contingent also contained its early early warning aircraft, and other ships like FNS Tourville, supply ship FNS Meuse and a nuclear powered submarine FNS Amethyste.
For India, Viraat, frigates Godavari and Ganga and a Shishumar class submarine Shalki are participating, said Rear Admiral R.K. Patnaik, the flag officer commanding of India’s western fleet.
“The Indian and the French Navy have been conducting such bilateral exercises since May 1993. Such exercises are in the long-term interest of both nations,” he added.
- Indo-French naval wargames to begin in Arabian Sea - Jan 06, 2011
- French carrier in India for joint naval drill - Jan 06, 2011
- Antony witnesses Indian Navy's battle readiness exercise - Feb 08, 2012
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- Show of might at president's naval fleet review Dec 20 - Dec 15, 2011
- China, Russia conclude joint naval drill - Apr 27, 2012
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- India's carrier, n-sub programme delayed - Aug 08, 2012
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Tsunami-hit Japan opts out of India-US naval war game - Apr 01, 2011
- 'Unsure when Gulf of Aden piracy will end' - Apr 24, 2010
- 'Aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov shaping up for sea trials' - Jul 20, 2011
- Indian Navy to focus on manpower, operational assets - Oct 14, 2011
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- Ahead of naval war game, Antony reviews national security - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: aircraft carrier charles de gaulle, aircraft carrier operations, aircraft carriers, amethyste, destroyers, flag officer, fns, french navies, french navy, frigates, ganga, godavari, humanitarian missions, maritime operations, naval exercise, naval exercises, rear admiral, submarine warfare, supply ship, varuna