India’s second fiscal stimulus package likely later FridayJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 2 (IANS) The Indian government is likely to announce its much-awaited second fiscal stimulus package later Friday with sector-specific measures to spur the economy but without any additional expenditure.Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montel Singh Ahluwalia and Finance Secretary Arun Ramanathan are expected to announce the package after trading closes in stock markets, officials in Prime Minister’s Office said.
They said the package, overseen by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, was likely to include measures for some labour-incentive as also export-oriented industries like textiles, housing, handicraft, leather, and gems and jewellery.
The first package announced in December had called for additional spending of Rs.20,000 crore (Rs.200 billion/$4 billion) in the remaining three months of this fiscal and an across-the-board cut of 4 percent in value added tax to push demand and spur growth.
- Govt announces Rs.1,050 crore sops for exporters - Aug 23, 2010
- Govt announces Rs.1,050 crore sops for exporters (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Exports transaction cost to be cut by 40 percent - Aug 24, 2010
- India's exports up 22.5 percent; trade deficit widens - Sep 15, 2010
- Fiscal stimulus, rate cuts to spur Indian economy (Roundup) - Jan 02, 2009
- Stimulus package will help achieve $200 bn exports target - Aug 23, 2010
- Government taking steps for sustained growth: Sharma - May 14, 2010
- Special packages to protect jobs soon: minister - Feb 01, 2009
- Third 'stimulus like' package by month-end: Commerce Secretary - Feb 05, 2009
- Foreign trade policy to be reviewed Monday - Aug 20, 2010
- India unveils Rs.3,000 bn package to pump prime economy - Dec 07, 2008
- No need for extra stimulus to boost growth: Montek - Dec 02, 2011
- India unveils second fiscal package to spur growth (Lead) - Jan 02, 2009
- Centre extends sops for exporters to continue in global economic scenario - Aug 23, 2010
- Centre announces Rs.20, 000 crore stimulus package to boost economy - Dec 07, 2008