India’s nuclear safeguards agreement circulated to IAEA membersJuly 10th, 2008 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Vienna, July 9 (DPA) India Wednesday took another step towards implementing its nuclear pact with the US, when it circulated its nuclear inspection agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) among member states, the IAEA said in a statement. Before US legislators can approve the US-India nuclear agreement which gives New Delhi access to civilian nuclear technology, the IAEA Board of Governors has to approve the Safeguards Agreement that will allow international nuclear inspections in India.
“The chairman of the board is consulting with board members to agree on a date for a board meeting when the agreement would be considered,” the IAEA statement said.
Board members are considering meeting at the end of July to approve the inspection agreement, a European diplomat told DPA.
But other Western diplomats have said their governments would require four weeks to assess the safeguards agreement.
Through the safeguards agreement, the IAEA would be able to inspect additional power reactors in India, as New Delhi pledged to separate its military and civilian nuclear programmes under its pact with the US.
- Atomic regulator's nod for fuel loading at Kudankulam (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- With atomic regulator's nod, Kudankulam reactor being fuelled (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- IAEA Board to consider India inspection agreement on Aug 1 - Jul 15, 2008
- IAEA team completes inspection of Kudankulam plant - Feb 21, 2012
- IAEA approves additional nuclear inspections for India - Mar 03, 2009
- India, US sign nuclear reprocessing pact - Jul 31, 2010
- India, IAEA sign safeguards accord (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- IAEA team inspects Kudankulam plant, protesters announce fast - Feb 20, 2012
- US calls for action on Iranian nuclear inspector ban - Sep 15, 2010
- Enter dialogues 'without pre-condition', Iran urged - Mar 08, 2012
- Pressure mounts on Iran at ElBaradei's final IAEA board meeting (Lead) - Nov 26, 2009
- Iran to continue uranium enrichment despite swap deal - Jun 03, 2010
- IAEA informed about new N-plant in Pakistan: China - Sep 22, 2010