India’s inflation rate falls to single digitNovember 13th, 2008 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 13 (IANS) In a development that should bring cheer to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government ahead of the ensuing state elections, India’s annual rate of inflation fell sharply to 8.98 percent for the week ended Nov 1 from 10.72 percent for the week before.The sharp fall in the inflation rate was the result of a 1.3 percent drop in the official wholesale price index in a matter of just one week, notably due to a 3.4 percent decline in the index for fuels and 0.7 percent in manufactured products.
The statistics, released by the commerce ministry, also pointed out that primary articles, which have a weight of 22.02 percent in the general index, also fell 0.4 percent during the week under review.
The annual rate of inflation stood at 3.35 percent during the corresponding week of last year.
Six states go to the polls from Nov 14.
- India's inflation rate in single digit after 21 weeks (Lead) - Nov 13, 2008
- Food inflation falls to 39-month low of 6.6 percent - Dec 08, 2011
- Food inflation dips to six-year low, relief for consumer (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to 0.42 percent; WPI may fall to 6 percent: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to 0.42 percent - Dec 29, 2011
- Dip in inflation rate brings cheer to Congress - Nov 13, 2008
- Inflation falls to 7.47 percent in December - Jan 16, 2012
- Food inflation dips but milk, vegetables, meat prices still high - Mar 10, 2011
- Inflation falls to two-year low of 7.47 percent (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Food inflation dips to two-year low - Jan 05, 2012
- Food inflation dips to low of minus 3.36 percent (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Food inflation slips sharply to 4.35 percent - Dec 15, 2011
- Milk, vegetables, meat prices keep food inflation high - Mar 03, 2011
- India's inflation drops further to 8.9 percent (Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Food inflation declines further to 10.15 percent - Nov 25, 2010