India’s inflation rate falls to 3.03 percent, a six-year low (Lead)March 5th, 2009 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) India’s annual rate of inflation fell to 3.03 percent for the week ended Feb 21 from 3.36 percent the week before, official data showed Thursday. It was the fifth consecutive week during which the inflation rate fell, to a six-year low.
The drop in the inflation rate, based on the official wholesale price index, was on account of a 0.1 percent fall in the general index over the week.
While the index for primary articles fell 0.2 percent, that for manufactured products also fell marginally by 0.1 percent. The index for fuels, however, remained unchanged.
D.K. Joshi, principal economist at credit rating agency Crisil Ltd, said the inflation would fall further and could even reach zero. “The base effect is strong,” he said.
However, Dalip Kumar, the head of projects at the National Council of Applied Economics Research (NCAER), a Delhi-based think tank, said the inflation rate would now stabilise.
“The inflation would not go beyond this figure as the agriculture growth has come down by 2 percent and industrial growth by 0.02 percent,” said Kumar, adding that the present inflation rate was a six-year low.
The statistics released by the industry ministry also showed that the inflation rate, based on revised estimates, was 5.86 percent for the week ended Dec 27, against 5.91 percent reported earlier on the basis of provisional estimates.
- India's inflation rate falls for fifth straight week, 3.03 percent now - Mar 05, 2009
- Crisil cuts India's growth forecast to 5.5 percent - Aug 07, 2012
- At 2.43 percent, India's rate of inflation lowest since June 2002 (Lead) - Mar 12, 2009
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- India's inflation rate falls to 3.36 percent (Lead) - Feb 26, 2009
- Food inflation dips to six-year low, relief for consumer (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to 0.42 percent; WPI may fall to 6 percent: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Food inflation dips to two-year low - Jan 05, 2012
- Food inflation dips to low of minus 3.36 percent (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Food inflation slips marginally, still above comfort level - Oct 13, 2011
- Inflation will come down to 6-7 percent by March: Mukherjee - Feb 01, 2012
- Crisil cuts India's economic growth forecast to 6.5 percent - Jun 04, 2012
- Inflation to remain between 6.5-7.5 percent: Mukherjee (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- China farm produce prices fall - Apr 11, 2012
- Inflation eases, but food prices surge - Jul 16, 2012