India’s industrial production falls 2 percent in DecemberFebruary 12th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 12 (IANS) After a marginal recovery in November, India’s industrial production fell 2 percent the next month with no signs of abatement in the impact of the global meltdown on the country’s economy.
Data on the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) released Thursday also showed that the index for manufacturing, that has the maximum weight, fell 2.5 percent, versus 8.6 percent in the like month of previous fiscal.
The general index had expanded 8 percent in December last fiscal, said the statistics released by the Central Statistical Organisation (CSO). The organisation also revised downward industrial growth for November to 1.7 percent from the estimated 2.4 percent earlier.
Industrial production had fallen for the first time in 15 years to 0.4 percent in October, compared to a growth of 12.2 percent in the corresponding month last year. Officials attributed the fall to a demand slowdown as a result of the crisis facing the global economy.
- October industrial output slumps to minus-5.1 percent - Dec 12, 2011
- IIP grows 0.1 percent in July, government calls meeting to revive manufacturing (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Industrial output in July grows at 0.1 percent - Sep 12, 2012
- As factory output shrinks, India Inc. demands lower interest rates (Roundup) - Dec 12, 2011
- As industrial output contracts, industry clamours for lowering rates - Dec 12, 2011
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- IIP data dissapoints Pranab, says government committed to reforms - Jun 12, 2012
- India's industrial output up only 4.4 percent in September - Nov 12, 2010
- Industrial output sluggish in December, grows at 1.8 percent - Feb 10, 2012
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- India's industrial output grows at 5.6 percent in August - Oct 12, 2010
- India's industrial output grows by 4.1 percent in February - Apr 12, 2012
- India's factory output slows further in May - Jul 12, 2011
- IIP data suggests slowdown: RBI - May 11, 2012