India’s gems exports declined 35 percent in FebruaryMarch 15th, 2009 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 14 (IANS) India’s gems and jewellery exports declined 34.57 percent in February owing to the sharp depreciation of the rupee and slower demand, according to data released Saturday.
The Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) said gems and jewellery exports fell 34.57 percent to $1.22 billion (Rs.5.91 billion) last month from $1.86 billion in the same period last year.
The huge hit taken by exporters due to a depreciating rupee can be seen from the fact that realisations in February 2008 were calculated at an exchange rate of Rs.39.15 per dollar while it has gone down to Rs.48.40 in February 2009.
Consolidated exports for the period April-February 2009 fell 4.62 percent to $17.71 billion from $18.65 billion in the year-ago period.
Shipments of cut and polished diamonds also fell 34.87 percent to $872.92 million last month compared to $1.34 billion a year ago.
Imports of cut and polished diamonds, however, went up 13.37 percent to Rs.2.52 billion in February as against Rs.2.22 billion in the corresponding period last year.
In November last year, the GJEPC had appealed to members to stop imports of rough diamonds for a month.
Total imports of rough diamonds fell 77.31 percent last month to $210.24 million from $926.45 million in February 2008.
Provisional export of gold jewellery during April 2008-February 2009 dropped 4.85 percent to $4.76 billion as against $5 billion in the year-ago period.
- Indian jewellery showcased at US show - Jun 02, 2012
- India's exports rise in March, trade deficit dips - May 02, 2011
- India's export surges 37.5 percent to $246 bn in 2010-11 - Apr 19, 2011
- Diamonds in demand, prices soar in Surat - Nov 18, 2010
- Botswana diamond exports triple - Apr 12, 2012
- Gems and jewellery exports shine in 2010-11 - Apr 19, 2011
- April exports up 34 percent, trade deficit at $8.9 bn - Jun 01, 2011
- August exports decline by 9.7 percent - Sep 13, 2012
- India's exports up 36.2 percent in April (Lead) - Jun 01, 2010
- India's April exports rose 34 percent to $23.9 bn - May 12, 2011
- Rajiv Jain new chairman of Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council - Sep 29, 2010
- Gold jewellery exports up 23.64 percent in 2008-09 - Apr 22, 2009
- Alpana to showcase garden-themed jewellery at IIJW (With Images) - Aug 02, 2011
- India surpasses $300 billion exports target - Apr 19, 2012
- High prices behind weak demand for diamonds this V-Day - Feb 13, 2012