India’s forex reserves drop by $1.22 billionOctober 8th, 2011 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 8 (IANS) India’s foreign exchange (forex) reserves dropped by $1.22 billion at $311.48 billion for the week ended Sep 30, registering a sharp decline for the second straight week largely due to revaluation of non-dollar assets, official data showed.
The forex reserves had slumped by $4.05 billion during the week ended Sep 23. The reserves have declined for the third time in the last four weeks under review.
The country’s foreign exchange reserves kitty has shrunk by $9.30 billion in the last four weeks after swelling to an all-time high of $320.78 billion for the week ended Sep 2.
Foreign currency assets, the biggest component of the forex reserves kitty, fell by $1.23 billion to $275.69 billion during the week under review, according to the weekly statistical supplement of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the country’s central bank.
The foreign currency assets expressed in US dollar terms include the effect of appreciation or depreciation of non-US currencies such as the pound sterling, euro and yen held in reserve.
Reserves with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) dropped by $345 million to $2.61 billion.
However, the value of gold reserves rose by $348 million to a record high of $28.66 billion.
The value of special drawing rights (SDRs) rose by $7 million to $4.50 billion during the week ended Sep 30.
- India's forex reserves slump by $4.29 billion - Sep 17, 2011
- India's forex reserves rise by $266 million - Sep 24, 2011
- India's forex reserves rise by $731.8 million - Jan 28, 2012
- Forex reserves drop to 15-month low at $292.52 billion - Jan 21, 2012
- India's forex reserves slump by $3.14 bn - Jan 15, 2012
- India's forex reserves slump by $4.05 billion - Oct 01, 2011
- India's forex reserves rise by $858 million - Oct 29, 2011
- India's forex reserves rise by $749 mn - Oct 16, 2011
- India's forex reserves fall by $2.04 billion - May 21, 2011
- Gold price pushes India's forex kitty to $320.78 bn high - Sep 10, 2011
- India's forex reserves slump by $5.72 billion - Nov 13, 2011
- India's forex reserves rise by $59 million - Jun 26, 2011
- India's forex reserves surge by $5.27 billion - Oct 23, 2011
- India's forex reserves slump by $5.71 billion - Nov 27, 2011
- India's forex reserves fall by $112 million - Jul 23, 2011
Tags: bank of india, currency assets, depreciation, dollar terms, foreign currency, foreign exchange reserves, forex reserves, gold reserves, international monetary fund, international monetary fund imf, pound sterling, rbi, reserve bank of india, revaluation, s central, special drawing rights, statistical supplement, third time, value of gold, yen