India’s foreign secretary leaves for China SundayApril 18th, 2008 - 6:43 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) India’s Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon will leave for Beijing Sunday to participate in a meeting of senior officials of the Group of Five (G-5) countries. The G-5 includes India, China, Brazil, Mexico and South Africa. They are known as the “outreach countries” and are invited when the world’s richest and most developed countries, the G-8, meet. They are also the fastest developing economies in the world.
The meeting in Beijing slated for April 21-22 will focus on the likely approach the G-5 must adopt for discussing climate change and global warming with the members of the rich world.
The next meeting of the G-8 will be hosted by Japan where members of the “outreach countries” are scheduled to participate. Climate change and global warming issues will be among the priority agenda of the G-8 meeting in July.
Since Menon will be visiting China soon after India managed the smooth passage of the Olympic torch relay in New Delhi Thursday, the Chinese leadership might take the opportunity to thank the Indian government through him.
He may also hold talks with Chinese officials on issues that could be taken up by the two sides when External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee visits Beijing in June.
- India, China to hold boundary talks Monday (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- India, China to resume high-level military exchanges - Apr 13, 2011
- We can develop together: China tells India - Feb 08, 2012
- 2010: Highlights of India-China ties (To go with 'Year of taming China dragon') - Dec 30, 2010
- PM heads for Italy Tuesday as India finds G8, G5 useful forums - Jul 06, 2009
- Manmohan seeks more Chinese market for Indian goods - Apr 13, 2011
- India, China accelerate diplomatic engagement amid simmering tension - Oct 23, 2010
- Obama's top national security aide to visit India, China - Oct 19, 2011
- India, China seal border mechanism to keep peace (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- India, China move to resolve disputes, increase trade (Roundup) - Apr 13, 2011
- China, India to hold border talks - Jan 14, 2012
- Indian military delegation to visit China - Apr 27, 2011
- India seeks closer China ties to combat global slowdown - Jan 10, 2012
- India-China defence dialogue next month: Krishna - Nov 29, 2011
- Krishna arrives in Beijing on a four-day visit - Apr 05, 2010