India’s first tribal varsity to come up in Madhya PradeshApril 18th, 2008 - 10:01 pm ICT by admin
Bhopal, April 18 (IANS) Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh will Saturday lay the foundation for the country’s first tribal university in Madhya Pradesh. Called the Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, it would be located at Amarkantak in Shahdol district. The union cabinet decided this June 15 last year.
Besides having affiliated colleges, the university is expected to set up its regional centres in tribal areas.
Sources in the tribal development department said there would be at least one school in every regional centre to serve as a model for the region.
Tribal students from these schools would go to affiliated colleges or the university. It would be funded by University Grants Commission and would be a central university.
The university would be customised to cater to tribal education needs and aim at promoting studies and research in tribal art, culture, tradition, language, medicinal systems and forest-based economic activity.
The institution is likely to attract students from tribal areas in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Foundation stone for country's first tribal varsity laid - Apr 19, 2008
- Boy barred from exam over grandpa's death - Apr 07, 2012
- Workshop to motivate disabled kids, parents - Aug 12, 2012
- AMU alumni protest shelving of Bhopal centre - Jan 15, 2012
- Class 3 tribal girl branded with iron rods in hostel - Jan 12, 2011
- Tribal University in Manipur - Sep 21, 2009
- Child tying minister's shoe laces shameful: Kamal Nath - Jan 21, 2012
- Anger over child tying shoe laces of Madhya Pradesh minister - Jan 21, 2012
- Bihar, Jharkhand to get IGNOU regional centres - Apr 22, 2011
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- 'Education City' emerges in Chhattisgarh's Maoist zone - Jul 16, 2012
- CWC condoles Arjun Singh's demise, describes him a symbol of secular values - Mar 05, 2011
- IGNOU sets up more evaluation centres to hasten results - Mar 14, 2010
- 'More autonomy for states to implement rural schemes' - Apr 08, 2012
- Child asked to tie minister's shoe laces (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012