India’s exports decline for fourth straight monthMarch 2nd, 2009 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) India’s merchandise exports fell for the fourth consecutive month in January and were valued at $12.381 billion, down 15.9 percent from the $14.717 billion registered in the like month of last fiscal.
Cumulatively, the exports registered a mere 13.2 percent growth in the first 10 months of this fiscal at $144.266 billion against $127.454 billion in the like period of the previous year, official data showed Monday.
The commerce ministry has attributed the export decline to the general slowdown in the global economy and has already admitted that the target of $200 billion for this fiscal will remain unmet, with exports logging no more than $170 billion.
The data, released by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade, also showed that imports during January, too, declined and were valued at $18.455 billion, down 18.2 percent from $22.566 billion in the like month of last fiscal.
Cumulative, the value of imports during April-January 2008-09, was $243.358 billion, up 25.3 percent over $194.285 billion logged during the corresponding 10-month period of last fiscal.
This resulted in the trade deficit for the 10-month period under review to shoot up to $444.61 billion from $269.352 billion for the like period of 2007-08.
The data also showed that while oil imports during April-January 2008-09 were up 32.4 percent at $83.29 billion, the non-oil imports rose by 21.9 percent to $160.068 billion.
- India's exports rose 10 percent in January - Mar 01, 2012
- India's exports up 10.1 percent to $25.4 bn in January - Feb 09, 2012
- India's merchandise exports up in January, oil imports down - Mar 01, 2011
- India's exports slump 14.8 percent in July - Sep 03, 2012
- India's exports fall in May - Jul 02, 2012
- India's February exports rise 49.7 percent - Apr 01, 2011
- India's exports drop by 5.45 percent in June - Aug 01, 2012
- Myanmar foreign trade to grow by 30 percent - Feb 13, 2012
- India raises export target to $220 billion - Feb 12, 2011
- India's exports rise 11.5 percent in January - Mar 02, 2010
- India's exports growth falls to 3.87 percent in November - Jan 02, 2012
- India's May exports rise 56.93 percent - Jul 01, 2011
- India's exports growth diminishes - Apr 02, 2012
- Exports dip by 5.45 percent; trade deficit narrows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012