India’s defence varsity by 2017May 21st, 2012 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) India’s first and only defence university, approved by the union cabinet in 2010, will take about seven years to come up and the land acquisition process at Binola in Gurgaon district of Haryana has begun, parliament was informed Monday.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony, in a written reply to questions from Lok Sabha members, said the Indian National Defence University (INDU) was accorded “in principle” approval by the union cabinet on May 13, 2010, and it will be set up at Binola. For this, the Haryana government has already issued notification to acquire land.
“It is projected that the establishment of INDU and its constituents will be spread over seven years,” he said.
In INDU, it has been proposed to conduct courses of varying duration on subjects ranging from strategic studies, war gaming and simulation, neighbourhood studies, counter insurgency and counter terrorism, Chinese studies, evaluation of strategic thought, international security issues, maritime security studies, Eurasian studies, South East Asian studies, material acquisition, joint logistics, and national security strategy in peace and war.
The government has engaged Educational Consultants of India Limited (EdCIL), a public sector enterprise under the human resource development ministry, for the preparation of a detailed project report, the layout plan, and draft act and statutes for setting up the university, Antony said.
“An estimated expenditure of Rs.295 crore (at the rate of 2010) for setting up the university and Rs.162 crore (at current rate) for the acquisition of land is likely to be incurred,” he added.
- Cabinet approves plan to set up of the Indian National Defence University - May 13, 2010
- Finally, government approves national defence university - May 13, 2010
- Cabinet approves Indian National Defence University - May 13, 2010
- Cabinet nod for defence varsity in Gurgaon - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian National Defence University to be set up in Gurgaon - May 13, 2010
- Finally, national defence university gets government nod (Second Lead) - May 13, 2010
- Indian National Defence University to get land near Gurgaon - Feb 19, 2009
- Senior official got extension despite CVC's objections? - Apr 27, 2011
- Antony asks army to streamline weapons' acquisitions (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Antony asks army to streamline acquisitions - Apr 02, 2012
- Nod for $1.9-bn defence procurement proposals (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Antony warns of emerging threats from China, AfPak - Apr 24, 2012
- Combat jet order: India to announce winner early in 2012 - Dec 26, 2011
- All is not well at South Block, still - Apr 03, 2012
- Government clears three highway projects - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: counter terrorism, development ministry, draft act, east asian studies, eurasian studies, haryana government, human resource development, international security issues, land acquisition, layout plan, lok sabha members, material acquisition, national security strategy, peace and war, public sector enterprise, south east asian, south east asian studies, studies material, union cabinet, war gaming