India’s biggest mosque to come up in KozhikodeFebruary 10th, 2011 - 1:05 am ICT by IANS
Kozhikode (Kerala) Feb 9 (IANS) Preliminary work to build what is billed as India’s biggest mosque has begun here, thanks to the initiative of the charitable institution Jamia Markazu Ssaquafathi Ssunniyya headed by Muslim scholar Kanthapuram A.P. Aboobaker Musliyar.Musliyar heads the popular social, charity and educational organisation based here which has in the past three decades educated more than 30,000 students from various states in the country.
Two years back, Markazu hit the headlines when more than 100 children from Kashmir were enrolled here for their basic education.
Speaking to IANS, Musliyar said the plans for the mega project were in their initial stages.
“See, these things are just being planned and raising money is the issue here. At this moment, I do not wish to come out with the estimates and other details. At the appropriate time, I will reveal all the details. Right now, I do not wish to say when the project will start or when it would be completed,” said Musliyar.
A source close to Musliyar, however, added that the land for the proposed mosque is being identified and a few locations in the outskirts of the city have been chosen.
At present, Delhi’s Jama Masjid, commissioned by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan and completed in 1656, is India’s largest mosque.
- Model of India's biggest mosque unveiled - Jan 30, 2012
- Delhi celebrates Eid with traditional fervour (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- India's Mughal era artistic legacy on display in US - Jul 26, 2012
- Construction stopped at old Delhi mosque site, visitors pour in - Jul 19, 2012
- Ancient Fatehpuri mosque to be restored to old glory (With images) - Jan 28, 2011
- Shah Jahan's 357th Urs celebrated at Taj Mahal - Jun 19, 2012
- Construction of mosque stayed, thousand pray (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Tension defused; Delhi mosque site handed over to ASI (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Bharat Ratna demanded for Bahadur Shah Zafar - Jun 29, 2011
- Tension defused; controversial mosque site handed over to ASI - Jul 21, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh mosques double up as primary schools (With Image) - Feb 07, 2012
- Eighth wonder? Bhopal too has a Taj Mahal! - Dec 09, 2010
- Historic Jama Masjid a step away from new look - Jun 11, 2009
Tags: basic education, charitable institution, charity, educational organisation, emperor shah jahan, estimates, headlines, India, initial stages, initiative, jama, kashmir, mega project, money is the issue, mosque, mughal emperor, muslim scholar, outskirts, raising money, three decades