India’s Ambika wins under-18 ITF meet in CanadaJuly 17th, 2011 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) Indian tennis player Ambika Pande beat third seed Canadian Gloria Liang 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (5) to win the final of the under-18 ITF meet in Vancouver.
Ambika, who entered the tournament as a lucky loser, pulled off five straight wins and was the surprise package of the tournament. Her win Saturday is the first by an Indian player at this prestigious tournament.
The 15-year-old Ambika had earlier beaten fancied eight-seed Tracy Dong of Canada in the semifinals 7-6, 6-4.
Ambika trains at DLTA here and is coached by former Indian Davis Cupper Vishaal Uppal.
- Poonacha, Riya bag ITF junior titles - Sep 01, 2012
- Rawat eliminates Rastogi in ITF tourney - Jun 06, 2012
- Palha advances to second round in ITF - May 09, 2011
- Smooth sailing for seeds in Bangalore ITF - Jun 13, 2012
- Kyra Shroff stuns third seed in ITF tennis - Mar 20, 2012
- Top Indians for ITF event - Jun 03, 2012
- Junior Davis Cup: India open against Chinese Taipei - Apr 17, 2011
- Gajjar, Ranjit score easy first round victories - Jun 07, 2011
- Vardhan starts favourite in Bangalore ITF meet - Jun 10, 2012
- Malik top seed as Vishnu pulls out from ITF event - May 27, 2012
- Palha, Shroff in ITF girls' quarters - May 18, 2010
- Ashvarya, Ankita advance on day one of ITF women - Jun 13, 2011
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF meet - Jun 05, 2012
- Rutuja in ITF women's quarterfinals - Jun 22, 2011
- Rutuja beats Ratnika to enter ITF tournament quarters - Jun 15, 2011