India’s Agni-IV n-capable missile showcasedJanuary 26th, 2012 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) Agni-IV, India’s latest nuclear-capable strategic missile, was showcased publicly for the first time Thursday at the Republic Day parade.
The missile formed part of a tableau from the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), its developer.
The DRDO contingent, led by Lt. Col. V.S. Thapa, also showed new tactical battlefield support high-speed missile Prahaar and the medium altitude long endurance unmanned aerial vehicle Rustom-I.
Agni-IV, the most potent and technologically advanced in India’s arsenal, adds a new dimension to country’s capabilities in terms of strategic deterrence.
The missile was successfully tested for the first time in November 2011, after its initial failure in the earlier avatar as Agni-II Prime in 2010.
Capable of being sent aloft from a self-contained road mobile launcher from anywhere, the two-stage surface-to-surface missile with solid-propulsion can reach targets 3,500 km away.
A quantum leap in indigenous technology, Agni-IV incorporates a composite rocket motor casing, a highly accurate guidance and navigation system, modern and compact avionics, digital control system and many contemporary and advanced technologies making it comparable to the best in the world.
- Agni-IV, C-130J, IAF woman officer among firsts at R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- India tests Agni-III missile (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- India tests Agni-IV missile with high accuracy - Nov 15, 2011
- India tests Agni-III missile (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- India tests Agni-IV n-missile over full range (Third Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- India not in arms race: DRDO chief - Nov 16, 2011
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile test in February - Nov 16, 2011
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Agni-IV better than Pakistan's missile, among world's best' - Nov 16, 2011
- 'Nuclear-capable Agni-V to be tested soon' - Jan 15, 2012
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni II - Sep 30, 2011
- No cap on Agni missile project: India - Apr 20, 2012
- India may test fire Agni II missile Thursday - Aug 08, 2012
- Agni-IV production by 2014 - Nov 16, 2011
- 'Rocket Woman' propels India's missile mission - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: accurate guidance, agni ii, capable missile, contingent, defence research, deterrence, development organisation, indigenous technology, initial failure, mobile launcher, navigation system, new dimension, quantum leap, republic day, rocket motor, solid propulsion, strategic missile, surface to surface missile, thapa, unmanned aerial vehicle