Indians among workers stranded in Saudi ArabiaAugust 6th, 2008 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Aug 6 (IANS) Around 100 Asian workers of a Saudi Arabian company, Indians included, are in a crisis after their employer did not pay their salaries for months and kept them in labour camps minus power and water connections, a newspaper reported Wednesday. The workers, mainly from India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and the Philippines, are employees of the Riyadh-based Al-Omrania & Al-Wagaiya Catering and Maintenance Company, the Arab News reported.
“The workers, who are now on the verge of starvation, have been living in cramped accommodation without electricity and water for several days,” the report quoted Kunju Mohammed, one of the Indian workers, as saying.
Some workers alleged that their employer had withheld their passports as also their Iqamas or local identity cards.
“Power and water supply have not been restored to the labour camp, which is in the far-flung Azizia district of Riyadh,” R. Muraleedharan, convenor of the Federation of Kerala Associations in Saudi Arabia, told the daily. “This is because the company has not paid the bills.”
He added that though some workers received decisions in their favour after approaching the court, the company was not complying with the court’s orders.
Attempts to contact the company management remained unsuccessful, the newspaper said.
- Saudi law allows only women clerks in lingerie shops - Jan 05, 2012
- Saudi Arabia bans maids from Indonesia, Philippines - Jul 01, 2011
- Four Saudi workers killed - May 23, 2010
- Saudi Arabia needs public cinemas, says Riyadh mayor - Feb 21, 2011
- Saudi Arabia to create 66,000 jobs - Jun 06, 2011
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- 78 Indian workers left high and dry in Saudi Arabia - Jul 04, 2012
- 5,300 jobless after Thai floods hit 20,000 firms - Nov 06, 2011
- Saudi Arabia honours Indian envoy - Jul 12, 2011
- Wipro leading IT service provider in Saudi Arabia - Dec 05, 2011
- Indians in Saudi Arabia excited over PM visit - Feb 27, 2010
- Saudi princess seeks political asylum in Britain - Jul 09, 2012
- Saudi crown prince dies in Geneva at 78 - Jun 16, 2012
- Saudi parliamentary delegation in India - May 07, 2012
- Rights body cautions Dhaka over sending women workers to Saudi Arabia - May 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,