Indians advised to leave Yemen (Lead)May 27th, 2011 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) India has asked its nationals to leave Yemen at the earliest following mounting violence between security forces and those ranged against long-time President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
“Keeping in view the evolving situation and the increase in violent incidents in Yemen, all Indian nationals living in the country are advised to exit the country through whatever commercial means available,” the external affairs ministry said in an advisory.
The Yemeni capital Sana’a has witnessed clashes between security forces and tribal militia which have left, according to some estimates, 70 people dead since Monday.
Indians not able to leave immediately have been told “not to venture out except under absolutely unavoidable circumstances”.
The Indian embassy and “our ambassador in Yemen will continue to function in Sana’a and can be contacted for any assistance by Indian nationals till such time they are able to exit the country”, said the advisory.
The US and Britain have also asked their nationals to leave Yemen.
The clashes followed the collapse Sunday of a transition deal that Yemen’s President Saleh refused to sign. The deal would have given him immunity from prosecution after his voluntary resignation.
Saleh has been president since 1978. A re-election in 2006 saw him winning the election yet again. But amid widespread protests, Saleh promised not to run for presidency again in 2013.
- Indians advised to leave Yemen - May 27, 2011
- US asks embassy officials in Yemen to evacuate - May 26, 2011
- PIOs, Indians asked to leave Yemen urgently - Jun 07, 2011
- India sets up helplines for its nationals in Yemen (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- India sets up helplines for its nationals in Yemen - Jun 04, 2011
- Two killed, 60 injured in Yemen clashes: Report - May 30, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh says he will 'soon' return to his country - Aug 17, 2011
- Yemen president to step down - Oct 08, 2011
- Two students dead in Yemen as protests continue - Feb 23, 2011
- Yemen: Opposition accepts Saleh's reform initiative, protests continue - Feb 13, 2011
- Policeman shot dead by Yemen protesters - Feb 20, 2011
- Six more dead in Yemen clashes - Apr 14, 2011
- Yemeni leader orders troops to protect protesters, loyalists - Feb 24, 2011
- Fresh clashes in Yemen kill four - Feb 26, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,