Indian workers in Bahrain survive 45-floor elevator fallNovember 14th, 2008 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Nov 14 (IANS) Eleven Indian workers in Bahrain had a miraculous escape when an elevator they were asked to test in a newly constructed building fell 45 floors to the ground.The workers were reportedly asked to act as human weights in the new elevator at a residential tower in Manama Thursday when the incident occurred.
“The men were ordered to enter the elevator to be human weights to check if the elevator would hold their weight,” the Gulf Daily News quoted sources as saying.
“Though they protested, it fell on deaf ears,” it added.
The men were later treated in a hospital for neck, back and leg injuries.
Those injured were Ravi Vislawath, 26, Kilbero Raja David, 38, Thourya Lambadi Noonavath, 28, Raseed Hafiz Khan, 29, Limnaiah Akula, 31, Senthilkumar Parthasarathi, 32, Shanawaz Akhtar Pal, 28, Ratan Lal Maloa, 40, Nampelli Mathi, 46, Pedda Rajanna Manala, 46, and Sriram Lambani Banavath, 37.
A doctor at the Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC) said the workers were lucky to be alive.
“They were also suffering from the shock of the fall because it seems they fell from the 45th floor of the building,” P.V. Cheriyan, accident and emergency department chief resident at SMC, said.
“They could even have gone into a coma for the rest of their lives. Their bodies are still recovering from the direct trauma of the fall from such a great height,” Cheriyan said.
The project’s main contractor is Al Hamad Construction and Development Company, while J.A. Zayani and Sons held the contract for the lift.
The lift contractor has now launched a probe into the incident.
“The lift was not yet commissioned for the project,” a spokesman for J.A. Zayani and Sons was quoted as saying. “It was still at the installation stage and was not supposed to be used at the time.”
Bahrain’s labour ministry has also launched an investigation into the incident.
- Four die in Dhaka lift collapse - Jul 22, 2011
- Olympics update: Matthias Steiner' drops weight on his head - Aug 08, 2012
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- 'Parie' - a tedious watch (Kannada Movie Review) - Apr 28, 2012
- Woman crushed to death by elevator - Dec 09, 2011
- Gurgaon factory violence: Contractor, 11 workers arrested - Mar 21, 2012
- Workers turn violent at Gurgaon export unit - Mar 19, 2012
- Lack of safety gear killing Delhi's sewer workers (Capital Focus) - Jun 24, 2012
- Ja Rule to begin his prison sentence today - Jun 09, 2011
- Five die in Brazil when elevator crashes - Apr 22, 2012
- Labour in Communist China suffer exploitation - Dec 15, 2011
- Elevator crashes at mine in eastern China, killing 13 - Mar 17, 2012
- JaMarcus Russell Arrested For Illegal Codeine Syrup Possession - Jul 06, 2010
- Bombs hurled at Bahrain school - Apr 12, 2012
- US crude oil crosses $100 mark - Mar 18, 2011