Indian women’s hockey team has to work on few areas: CoachFebruary 19th, 2012 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 19 (IANS) Indian women’s hockey coach C.R. Kumar was pleased with the team’s 4-1 thrashing of Canada here Sunday but said there was still room for improvement in the 2012 London Olympic qualifiers.
“It was a good performance from the girls. 4-1 is a good score-line for the team. I was particularly happy with the professionalism of the girls,” said Kumar.
The coach, however, said there are a few areas in the defence where his team has to work hard.
“There are a few areas where we have to work hard. Our defenders are unnecessary forcing the ball and are losing possession. Some of the links were also unable to trap the ball properly,” he said.
Kumar said Sunday’s performance will boost the confidence of the girls as they gear up to face Poland, South Africa and Italy in their remaining three pool matches.
“I think against Canada our passing has been the best when you compare it with other teams. This performance will surely boost their confidence as we prepare for our remaining three pool matches,” he said.
Kumar said India have to play aggressively if they want to make the final.
“We have to play aggressively. We cannot be slow starters and be nervous. A team commits mistake when it is nervous. We have no room for errors,” he said.
Skipper Asanta Lakra said the team had put the unexpected draw against Ukraine behind.
“We don’t line in the past. The girls were determined not to commit mistakes and we did exactly that,” he said.
- Have to peak at the right time: Nobbs (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: India beat Poland 3-0 - Feb 21, 2012
- Indian women's hockey coach rues missing three points - Feb 18, 2012
- 'Indian girls have the mental strength to beat South Africa' - Feb 24, 2012
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men's hockey team thrash France 6-2, women win 3-0 (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Indian women beat Canada 4-1 in Olympic hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- India beat Azerbaijan 3-0 in third hockey Test - Jan 18, 2012
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Nobbs happy with India's 4-0 win over South Africa - Jan 17, 2012
- CWG Hockey: England women outclass Canada (Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
- We are improving with each game: Nobbs (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Hockey Olympic qualifer: Indian women go down 2-5 to South Africa - Feb 22, 2012
- CWG Hockey: India women wake up late, lose to Aussies - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: canada, confidence, girls, hockey coach, hockey team, India, indian women, italy, london, New Delhi, olympic, poland, pool, possession, professionalism, score line, slow starters, south africa, t line, ukraine