Indian women miss bronze in four-nation meet (Lead, With corrections)April 16th, 2012 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Auckland, April 16 (IANS) Indian women’s hockey team missed the bronze medal as they went down 1-2 to the US by a golden goal in the play-off at Harbour Hockey Stadium in the first leg of the Four Nation Tournament played here Monday.
Tied 1-1 at the end of the hooter, India conceded a penalty stroke which was converted by US captain Lauren Crandall in the 73rd minute.
The golden goal dashed India’s hope of registering their first win of the tournament.
India and the US played a defensive game, and it was the latter who took the lead in the 47th minute through a penalty corner. Shannon Taylor dragged the ball beating defender Joydeep Kaur to sound the board.
India started pressing and made some good penetrations in the circle. But they were not able to score as Indian forwards held the ball a few seconds extra that allowed US defenders to come back to defend their goal.
India finally managed to draw level by scoring in the 56th minute when Poonam Rani penetrated into the circle to give a tailor-made pass to Chanchan Thokchom and the latter made no mistake to tip in the ball.
The US got four penalty corners until the final whistle. On the other hand, for the Indians, once again Poonam could not give the final touch to Asunta’s well directed ball.
After the final whistle in the extra time, a hard hit rose alarmingly from Asunta’s stick inside the circle and the umpire gave a penalty corner.
A direct shot by Shannon hit Joydeep’s foot and umpire gave a penalty stroke which was converted by Lauren Crandall in the 73rd minute.
In the final match, New Zealand beat Australia by 3-2 to win the tournament.
The second leg of the Four Nation Tournament will be played at Lloyd Elsmore Hockey Stadium in Pakuranga, New Zealand, April 18-22.
India will take on the US April 18, followed by Australia and New Zealand.
- Indian women settle for bronze in hockey - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team lose 0-3 to US - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team thrashed 2-5 by Australia - Apr 19, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team held 1-1 by US - Apr 13, 2012
- India come back from two goals down to hold New Zealand - Apr 21, 2012
- India women go down to New Zealand in four-nation meet - Apr 12, 2012
- Indian women lose to Australia in four-nation hockey meet - Apr 15, 2012
- Indian eves win bronze in Auckland hockey tourney - Apr 22, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: India beat Italy - Feb 24, 2012
- Anjum to lead Indian women's hockey team in Australia - Sep 29, 2011
- India bag bronze in four-nation women's hockey meet - Dec 19, 2011
- Rani to lead women's hockey team in Auckland four-nation meet - Mar 26, 2012
- India eves in final of junior Asia Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- India lose 1-2 to Germany in women's U-21 hockey - Nov 11, 2011
- U-21 women's hockey: Germany win title, India finish third - Nov 12, 2011