Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vesselJuly 19th, 2011 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) An Indian warship has successfully warded off a pirate attack on a Greek merchant ship in the Gulf of Aden, where it is on anti-piracy deployment, in coordination with a German warship, the Indian Navy said Tuesday.
The Indian frigate, INS Godavari, was escorting four merchant ships in the Gulf of Aden July 16 (Saturday), when the Greek cargo vessel MV Elinakos sent out a distress call. Soon after, the Indian marine commandos were rushed in aid of the Greek ship, the navy said in a press release here.
An eight-member Somali pirate team had made the attempt on the Greek ship and they were spotted by the commandos on a skiff near the cargo vessel.
The marine commandos on board their speed boats approached the pirate skiff, by which time the sea brigands dumped their arms and ammunition, and other piracy implements into the sea, the release said.
The pirates later sped away, a naval officer said.
The German naval ship Niedersachsen also coordinated with INS Godavari in the operation.
Since its deployment in the Gulf of Aden in May this year, INS Godavari has safely escorted 219 ships of various countries. Last week, it escorted a Pakistani ship, MV Islamabad, with an all-Pakistani crew of 38 in the pirate-infested waters of Gulf of Aden.
India has deployed its warships in the region since 2008 in anti-piracy role and has since escorted 1,665 cargo vessels successfully.
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Ship unresponsive, Indian Navy calls off escort (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Indian Navy abandons escort of freed vessel (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Did our best to help Indian sailors of MV Suez: Navy chief - Jun 24, 2011
- India, China, Japan join hands for anti-piracy operations - Mar 14, 2012
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Navy warship on anti-piracy patrol intercepts foreign dhow (Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- India calls for rational demarcation of pirate-infested waters - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Minor damage to Indian warship after Pakistani vessel brushed past' - Jun 24, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: brigands, cargo vessel, cargo vessels, commandos, distress call, frigate, german warship, greek ship, greek vessel, gulf of aden, indian navy, merchant ship, merchant ships, naval ship, pirate attack, skiff, somali, speed boats, thwarts, warships