Indian varsities slip in global rankingSeptember 6th, 2011 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) Indian universities have slipped in the prestigious Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) global ranking with not even a single one making it to the top 200.
The Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi (IIT-Delhi) marks the first entry for India at the 218th rank in the list. It is followed by IIT-Bombay at 225th position. IIT-Madras follows at 281st position. The report was released Monday.
Last year, IIT-Bombay was at 187, IIT-Delhi at 202 and IIT-Madras at 262.
The list has been topped by Britain’s Cambridge University, followed by Harvard University of the US.
In separate subject wise category, the English department of Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru University has secured the 51st rank in the category of English language and literature.
The survey ranks universities on different categories including academic reputation, employer reputation, citations per faculty, international faculty and international students.
In the QS Asian ranking, while the likes of IIT-Kanpur, IIT-D, IIT-M, IIT-Kharagpur and IIT-Roorkee climbed rankings, IIT-Bombay dropped two places.
The Asia ranking has been topped by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
At 36th place, IIT-Kanpur - which was ranked 37th last year — became the top Indian university in this category.
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- IIT Delhi also rejects CET, to have own exam - Jun 21, 2012
- IIT Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Over 400 IIT-Delhi professors on leave over pay dispute - Aug 25, 2009
- Eight IIM-B graduates awarded gold medals - Mar 30, 2012
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Now, IIT-Kanpur seeks PM's intervention on common test - Jun 11, 2012
- Can't quit IIT, reappear in entrance test: Court - Apr 05, 2012
- Disabled student challenges IIT's rejection in court - Jun 25, 2012
- IITs, IISc to use CAT 2011 for MBA admissions - Aug 29, 2011
- Disabled student made false claim, IIT-D tells court (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Cambridge loses No.1 spot to MIT - Sep 11, 2012
- IIT-Delhi professors go on mass casual leave demanding pay hike - Aug 25, 2009
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: academic reputation, cambridge university, delhi iit, harvard university, hong kong university of science and technology, iit delhi, iit kharagpur, iit madras, iit roorkee, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology delhi, indian universities, international faculty, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru university, kanpur, qs, single one, symonds, university of science and technology