Indian, US navies to conduct joint exerciseApril 6th, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 6 (IANS) Indian and the US navies will conduct a joint training drill, “Exercise Malabar 2012″, April 9-16 in the Bay of Bengal and west of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Participants from the US Navy include the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70), the guided-missile cruiser USS Bunker Hill (CG 52), the guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG 97), a submarine, a P-3C aircraft and a logistics ship.
“The Indian Navy and US 7th Fleet have a common understanding and knowledge of a shared working environment at sea,” a statement from the Yokosuka, Japan, based US 7th Fleet announcing the exercise said Friday.
“This exercise helps to advance the level of understanding between the countries’ sailors and both countries hope to be able to continue this process over time,” it said.
The latest in a continuing series of exercises conducted to advance multinational maritime relationships and mutual security issues, Malabar will feature both on shore and at-sea training.
On shore training in Chennai will include expert and professional exchanges on counter-piracy operations, carrier aviation operations, maritime patrol and reconnaissance operations and anti-submarine warfare operations.
The at-sea portions will be conducted in two phases with the first in the vicinity of Chennai and the second in the Bay of Bengal.
They are designed to advance participating nations’ military-to-military coordination and capacity to plan and execute tactical operations in a multinational environment.
Events planned during the at-sea portions include liaison officer professional exchanges and embarks; communications exercises; surface action group operations; helicopter cross-deck evolutions; underway replenishments; gunnery exercises; visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS); maritime strikes; air defence exercises; encounter exercises; shore-based surface strikes; and anti-submarine warfare.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Indo-US naval wargames begin in Arabian Sea - Apr 23, 2010
- Indian, US navies begin annual exercise in Arabian Sea - Apr 23, 2010
- Singapore, Indian Navies conduct naval exercise - Mar 24, 2011
- Indian, Singaporean navies hold war game in China's backyard - Mar 24, 2011
- Tsunami-hit Japan opts out of India-US naval war game - Apr 01, 2011
- India, US, Japan naval exercise kicks off Wednesday - Apr 28, 2009
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- British n-sub in India for naval war game - Oct 07, 2011
- Britain wants sea drones to attack submarines - Aug 03, 2012
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- INS Teg warship inducted into Indian Navy - Apr 27, 2012
- Indo-US bilateral naval exercise ''Malabar 08'' begins - Oct 19, 2008
- US, South Korea begin joint naval exercises - Jul 25, 2010
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: aircraft carrier uss, andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, aviation operations, bay of bengal, carrier aviation, destroyer uss, guided missile cruiser, guided missile destroyer, gunnery exercises, indian navy, search and seizure, submarine warfare, surface action group, uss bunker hill, uss bunker hill cg 52, uss carl vinson, uss carl vinson cvn 70, uss halsey ddg 97, yokosuka japan