Indian swimmers win gold, not Olympic berthJuly 6th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) Indians Virdhawal Khade and Sandeep Sejwal won gold medals at the 7th Singapore Open Swimming Championships, a qualifying event for the 2012 London Games, but failed to book Olympic berths.
According in information received here, Khade won two gold and three bronze medals while Sejwal brought home two golds and a silver from the tournament that took place last week.
Khade won the gold in the 50m and 100m freestyle events clocking 23.21 and 51.08 seconds.
Khade added three bronzes in the 200m freestyle (1:52.54), 100m butterfly (55.37) and in the 400m freestyle relay.
Sejwal was impressive as he made podium finishes in all the events in which he took part.
The 22-year-old from Delhi won the gold in his pet event, 50m breaststroke, with a timing of 29.10 seconds, and in the 100m breaststroke where he clocked 1:03.72.
He ended his winning streak in Singapore with a silver in the 200m breastroke (2:17.50).
The two swimmers still have a chance of making it to London as more qualifying rounds are scheduled this year.
- Indian swimmer Khade qualifies for 2012 Olympics - Jul 27, 2011
- Asian Games swimming: No medals for India on last day - Nov 18, 2010
- Asian Games Swimming: Veerdhawal misses medal by a whisker in 50m freestyle - Nov 15, 2010
- Asian Games swimming: Khade creates history in pool after 24 years (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Swimmers ready to break CWG medal jinx - Sep 22, 2010
- Asian Games swimming: Khade wins bronze in 50m butterfly - Nov 16, 2010
- Shooters, wrestlers bag 5 gold, 2 silver for India (Evening Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- National Games: Swimmer Richa Mishra finishes with 16 medals - Feb 19, 2011
- CWG swimming: Khade, Sejwal qualify for semi-finals - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG schedule: Day Six - Oct 09, 2010
- Asian Games: Khade wins heat, fails to qualify for 100m freestyle - Nov 17, 2010
- European swimming: Seven golds decided on penultimate day - May 27, 2012
- CWG swimming: Indian men qualify for 4x100m freestyle relay - Oct 04, 2010
- Khade's medal will inspire gen-next of Indian swimmers: Khazan - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: 100m breaststroke, 200m freestyle, 400m freestyle, bronze medals, bronzes, butterfly, freestyle events, gold medals, indians, london games, New Delhi, olympic berth, pet event, podium, sandeep, singapore, swimmers, swimming championships, tournament that took place, winning streak