Indian students set record for largest Sushi mosaicMarch 17th, 2008 - 10:45 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, March 17 (IANS) Mumbai students Monday created a new Guinness world record for making the world’s largest Sushi mosaic. The 15.16 square metre Sushi mosaic consists of a whopping 5,814 sushi pieces. The attempt, by a group of 20 students of the Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, started at 7.00 a.m. and the record was broken at 4.35 p.m.
The previous record for the world’s “largest Sushi mosaic” measured 14.84 square metres and was made by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) at the Golden Terraces Shopping Centre in Zlota, Warsaw, in Poland, Nov 17, 2007.
The record-breaking Sushi mosaic consists of Maki Sushi, Inari Sushi, Nigiri Sushi, Uramaki Sushi, and Chirashi Sushi. The salmon used in the record-breaking Sushi mosaic was imported from Norway.
The ingredients used in the Sushi mosaic included Nori sea weed (720 sheets) Japanese rice (60-kg), Norwegian Salmon (15-kg), Japanese salmon roe (3-kg), Sushi vinegar (5 litres), sweet tofu skin (750 pieces), pickled radish (20 pieces), sesame seeds (1 kg), Wasabi (1/2 kg), carrots (5-kg), cucumber (15-kg) and pickled ginger (3-kg).
Chef Vernon Coelho, who supervised the team’s effort, said: “I am pleased that our team of aspiring Indian culinary art students have worked together to realise this project.”
“Their team effort, creativity, leadership, vision, with a touch of out-of-the-box thinking, and importantly the Indian philosophy of plain hard work and careful preparation have been able to achieve something amazing and fun together,” he added.
Backed by Harry Cheng of Maidoindia, a company promoting Japanese food, art and culture in association with METRO Cash and Carry (MC&C), Consulate General of Japan in Mumbai, Japan Foundation and the Royal Norwegian Embassy in New Delhi, Innovation Norway, Norwegian Seafood Export Council (NORGE) and IHM Mumbai, the event showcased India’s challenge in the world of sushi.
All Nippon Airways (ANA) sponsored the event.
“I am pleased to know that India is breaking a Guinness World Record of Sushi today. As Japan and other countries are all looking towards India, we hope that this event will further promote understanding between not only India and Japan, but also all countries involved in the ever-growing internationalisation of sushi, through both vegetarian and non-vegetarian sushi,” said Anup Jatia, director of Maidoindia.
Commenting on the event, Martin Dlouhy, managing director of MC&C India said: “It is our privilege to be associated with such a unique event which showcases how the culinary world has become global.”
- Largest sushi mosaic created in Mumbai - Mar 18, 2008
- Courtesy young enthusiasts, Japanese food takes a bow in India (With Images) - Feb 26, 2012
- Quake hits imports of Japanese fish for sushi - Apr 06, 2011
- Coffee mosaic of Marilyn Monroe enters Guinness World Record - Jul 26, 2010
- Laura Hadland Creates Giant Toast Mosaic of Mother-in-Law - Oct 21, 2010
- Mexican sets new world record for fastest barefoot water skiing - Mar 09, 2011
- Indian archers off the mark at Lord's - Jul 27, 2012
- Giant tuna fetches record $396K in a Tokyo auction - Jan 06, 2011
- Woman aims to be world's fattest, eats mounds of food - Mar 15, 2010
- Japanese cuisine and liquor showcased at Matsuri festival - Mar 31, 2012
- Lebanon claims record for world's biggest wine glass - Oct 31, 2010
- Food festival from the land of the rising sun (Eating out with IANS) - Jan 21, 2010
- Art of Living serves menu of 5,600 dishes - Nov 04, 2010
- Cuban man sets fifth Guinness record - Nov 21, 2011
- Japanese lady, 73, awarded for scaling Mt. Everest - May 26, 2012