Indian students face racial abuse in New Zealand cityFebruary 25th, 2009 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, Feb 25 (DPA) Indian students studying in New Zealand’s southernmost city Invercargill have been targets of racial abuse and called terrorists by local people, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
Four of those targeted are Sikhs who wear turbans, which they said made some ignorant people confuse them with Arabs or Muslims, the Southland Times reported.
One victim, Jasdeep Singh, told the paper he had defied his religious principles and had a haircut to avoid wearing a turban because he feared for his safety.
“I haven’t told my parents yet,” he said. “They will be shocked and quite angry.”
Five students out of a group of 25 who arrived in Invercargill this month to study at the Southern Institute of Technology said they had experienced 16 incidents of racial abuse in the last 12 days.
Jasmail Singh said the abusers, men and women, were generally in their early 20s and the attacks, including calls to leave the country, had put them off walking around the city after dark.
The institute’s business manager, Bharat Guha, said the police had been contacted over the attacks.
Southland police commander Barry Taylor said: “I would be very disappointed if the general community was participating in this sort of thing. I’m confident it’s a small minority.”
- Australian varsity seeks to attract more Indian students - Sep 24, 2011
- New Zealand girl, 14, beats off shark attack - Feb 02, 2010
- 'Dirty' Asian shops? Former Washington mayor under fire - Apr 07, 2012
- Prisoners to be given carrot sticks to encourage them to quit smoking - Jun 01, 2011
- Kiwi Spanish resident complains of racist abuse - Jan 16, 2011
- Kiwi woman sounds Welsh in rare case of 'foreign accent syndrome' - Jul 14, 2010
- Shimla convent school allows students to wear turban - Apr 28, 2012
- Parents fume over turban curbs in Shimla school - Apr 26, 2012
- Milkha wants PM to take up turban issue strongly - Mar 16, 2011
- Major quake rocks New Zealand, tsunami alert issued (Lead) - Jul 15, 2009
- India presses France to resolve turban ban issue - Oct 20, 2011
- Turkish stores in New Zealand refuse to serve Israelis - Jan 15, 2009
- Australia Issues Report on Crimes Against Foreign Students - Aug 12, 2011
- Rebuilding Indian students' faith post-Oz attacks: Varghese - Feb 16, 2011
- Attacker seemed Indian, says reporter assaulted in Australia - Jul 29, 2009