Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image)July 18th, 2012 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 18 (IANS) Odisha-based sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik’s sculpture of Hindu god Ganesha has won two gold medals at the just-concluded Solo International Sand Art Contest in Marbella, Spain, the artist said Wednesday.
Pattnaik’s 3.5-metre sand sculpture bearing message - “Save The Sea Life” - won in ‘People’s Choice’ and ‘Best Positive’ sculpture categories.
“The theme of the competition was ‘Secrets of the Sea,’ the sand artist, who belongs to beach town of Puri, about 55 km from here, told IANS over the phone.
Pattnaik used about 1,000 tonnes of sand to build the sculpture.
He was the only sand artist from India to participate in the contest held July 9-17. Other participants included artists from Spain, Italy, Ireland, Germany, Ukraine, Russia, Poland and Holland.
Pattnaik has participated in more than 50 international sand art competitions across the globe and won many accolades.
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian sand artist selected for Moscow championship - Apr 15, 2011
- Indian artist to create climate change sculpture in Japan - Jan 22, 2012
- Sand artist Pattnaik conferred honorary doctorate - May 02, 2012
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- Santa in sand, courtesy Odisha artist (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
- Orissa sculptor wins prize in Moscow - May 16, 2011
- Sandy tribute to Japan tsunami victims (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
- Sudarsan wins people's choice prize in Canada (With Images) - Sep 08, 2010
- 125-ft-long sand cricket bat to usher World Cup (With Image) - Feb 12, 2011
- Odisha artist makes ailing Big B's sand image (With Image) - Feb 19, 2012
- Sudarsan Pattnaik's sand sculpture on global warming wins Berlin contest (With Image) - Aug 01, 2010
- Sand artist pays tribute to Dev Anand - Dec 05, 2011
- Huge sand cake for birthday boy Sachin (With Image) - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: art competitions, art contest, ganesha, globe, gold medals, hindu god, holland, international sand, ireland germany, marbella spain, metre sand, participants, poland, puri, russia, sand art, sand sculpture, sea life, secrets of the sea, tonnes