Indian Railways cancel luxury tour post-Mumbai attackJanuary 17th, 2009 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 17 (IANS) Indian Railways’ joint venture with a private tour operator for a luxury package tour from Kolkata to Mumbai via Goa had to be postponed till the end of 2009 after denied security assurances from Goa government, the tour company officials said Saturday.The Railways’ service arm, the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) tied up with Kolkata-based tour operator I-Nova to offer tourists a package tour on a 16-coach luxury train, complete with hostesses, belly-dancers, multi-cuisine food and even a star-studded Bollywood night.
“Director of Goa Tourism department Elvis Gomes told us after the Mumbai terror attacks that there is a threat at the beaches too and he will be unable to provide security to so many tourists (over 700) at the moment,” I-Nova group’s managing director Rajib Mukherjee told reporters here.
He further noted the Goa government has already banned all beach parties.
“And, one of the USPs of our tour was the beach carnival at Goa that included belly dancers, samba and salsa dancers from Brazil and Russia, a rain dance party and Asian martial arts performance. So, there is no point in going to Goa and not enjoying the beach.”
The tour conductors had numerous discussions with the Coast Guard Inspector General (IG) (western region).
“The IG advised us not to take the risk. We too got scared,” said Mukherjee.
Mukherjee also said the tour operators wrote to the central home ministry seeking security for tourists during their rail journey.
“The train was to take the Karnataka route from Kolkata and back. But the home ministry has yet not responded to our letter asking to assure security during the journey.”
However, IRCTC, which provided the train, has not incurred any loss. But I-Nova has suffered a loss of Rs.70 million.
“IRCTC will not suffer any loss as we will adjust the amount with other tours we conduct round the year,” Mukherjee said.
The tour scheduled for Jan 2-11, has been postponed to December 2009.
“Already, 50 percent reservations have been done for the December tour,” Mukherjee said.
- Railways plans belly dancers in Kolkata-Goa-Mumbai package tour - Nov 08, 2008
- Railways promoting special tour packages - Nov 20, 2010
- SC dismisses plea of travel firm Cox and Kings - Jul 06, 2012
- IRCTC asked to maintain status quo on joint venture - Aug 17, 2011
- Railways, ITDC jointly offer tourism services - May 24, 2012
- Railways to launch train for Sikh shrines - Feb 03, 2012
- Railways' tourism arm to run luxury train: Apex court (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Feel like a maharaja chugging from Kolkata to Delhi - Mar 21, 2010
- New look 'Deccan Odyssey' on tracks again - Oct 12, 2011
- Train to five Sikh shrines in December - Apr 03, 2012
- With Wendell busy, Goa tourism scouts for designer to make uniforms - Jun 10, 2011
- Goa campaign against 'water injustice' (Letter from Goa) - Jun 29, 2012
- Karnataka's luxury train to chug through southern states - Mar 09, 2010
- Good taxi drivers key to tourism, says study (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Indian tourism upbeat despite tight budget (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012