Indian power companies courted to ‘light up’ AfricaMarch 20th, 2008 - 10:16 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) With the African economy on a rising curve, Indian companies have been invited to plug the shortfall in power generation and distribution in the continent. At the fourth India-Africa business conclave here Thursday, African countries were eager to showcase the potential for electricity generation, especially in the hydropower sector, and attract Indian capital and technology.
Talking about Africa’s underdeveloped electricity sector, the general manager of the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation, Meheret Debebe, pointed out that while Africa had one-sixth of the world’s population, it only had a share of four percent in global electricity production.
Hydropower is the biggest source of electricity as the region has some of the largest rivers in the world. While the potential was huge, there were also challenges due to the volatile market and geo-political situation, he said.
He urged the Indian power companies to invest in Africa, and said it would be a win-win situation for both.
Similarly, Congo’s Minister of Energy Salomon Mboso encouraged Indian companies to tap his country’s hydropower sector, which he said had the potential of providing 13 percent of the world’s hydropower requirements.
- Central African Republic woos Indian investment - Mar 19, 2012
- Countdown begins for India-Africa summit (Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Booming trade ups freight from India to Africa - Apr 06, 2011
- Exim Bank offers $60 million loan to Central African Republic - Mar 19, 2012
- India announces $5 bn aid for Africa, seeks support for UN reforms - May 24, 2011
- Trade fair in Addis Ababa showcasing India Inc. in Africa - May 23, 2011
- Ethiopia to host second India-Africa summit - Feb 21, 2011
- Agenda being set for India-Africa Summit in Addis Ababa - May 10, 2011
- India to set up 19 training institutes in Africa - Dec 10, 2010
- India to build 100 institutions in Africa for human development - Mar 19, 2012
- Firms keen on JVs for oil, gas exploration in Africa: Reddy - Dec 09, 2011
- India to invest $4.78 bn in Ethiopia - May 21, 2011
- Charm Africa: Manmohan heads to Ethiopia, Tanzania next week (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- Benin invites Indian firms for oil and gas exploration - Dec 10, 2011
- Ahead of Africa summit, India says West pitting it against China (Lead) - May 23, 2011