Indian peaceniks cross over to PakistanFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Feb 22 (IANS) A group of eminent people from India on a peace mission Sunday crossed over into Pakistan from the Attari-Wagah land border checkpost between the two countries near here.
Noted journalist Kuldip Nayar, film director Mahesh Bhatt, social activist Swami Agnivesh and others are part of this peace delegation. The delegation was received on the Pakistan side by human rights activist Asma Jehangir.
Delegation members said they had taken the initiative to go to Pakistan to interact with their counterparts there about restoring peace links between the two countries.
The delegation also intends to meet former Pakistan prime minister Nawaz Sharif and other leaders and eminent people.
The visit of the delegation comes nearly three months after the deadly 26/11 Mumbai terror attack which India blamed on terrorists who had sailed into India from Pakistan.
- Sweets and greetings exchanged at Attari border - Aug 15, 2011
- Mahesh Bhatt, Kuldip Nayar to light peace candles at Wagah - Aug 14, 2010
- BSF gives Pakistan Rangers sweets at Punjab border (Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Thousands converge for I-Day celebrations at Attari border - Aug 15, 2010
- Delhi meet moots South Asian news agency to foster peace - Jan 12, 2010
- Indian peaceniks aim to refresh brotherhood spirit with Pakistanis - Feb 23, 2009
- Ahead of Krishna visit, India, Pakistan MPs to talk peace, trade - Aug 22, 2012
- Indian delegation on 'peace mission' to Pakistan - Feb 21, 2009
- Pakistan's bar association elects its first woman chief - Oct 28, 2010
- 325 more Pakistani fans cross into India - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistan Rangers offer BSF sweets on I-Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Peaceniks light candles at India-Pakistan border - Aug 15, 2009
- Indian peace delegation in Pakistan - Mar 18, 2011
- Indian, Pakistani activists in candlelight vigil at border - Aug 15, 2008